• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tough Subject

maddog10

Members
I always have trouble with this one. I am never happy with the detail that I capture.

moon-f11-1x.jpg

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Really nice Mike.:lol:

Really nice Bill
.:angry:

Those smilies tell the story. lol :lol:

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
All these moons remind me of a movie my Uncle turned me onto called, "Hollywood Knights."

Nice Pic Mike.

RM

maddog10

Members
Hollywood Knights is a GREAT movie.

It will cost me about $9000 to get closer to the moon.
(new lens)

iamzrad

Members
Hollywood Knights is a GREAT movie.

(new lens)

Are you using teleconverter?
Much cheaper than a 600mm lens :p

I've had trouble as well.
I tried to take this lunar eclipse 3 years ago, yeah never got it correctly,
2281197294_d852305a97_o.jpg

chris_todd

Members
That's a really beautiful shot, Mike! It's hard to shoot the full moon without overexposing it, and yet still get good contrast between the highlands and maria.

What camera/lens/parameters were you using for that shot?

(new lens)

9 grand? Pfft. Just mount your camera in a telescope (amateur astronomy is my other geeky hobby). Almost any telescope will do, though some are easier to work with than others. There's a ton of amazingly good astrophotography being done with DSLRs and sub-$1000 telescopes these days (Chinese optics manufacturing has gotten really good in the last 10 years). And where you live, I'll bet the skies are nice and dark - you should own a telescope anyway, LOL.

Say, that gives me an idea... how about I bring my 18" dob down to your place and let you view through it and hook your camera up to it, and in exchange, I go home with a piece of malyasian driftwood? :)

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
That's a really beautiful shot, Mike! It's hard to shoot the full moon without overexposing it, and yet still get good contrast between the highlands and maria.

What camera/lens/parameters were you using for that shot?

9 grand? Pfft. Just mount your camera in a telescope (amateur astronomy is my other geeky hobby). Almost any telescope will do, though some are easier to work with than others. There's a ton of amazingly good astrophotography being done with DSLRs and sub-$1000 telescopes these days (Chinese optics manufacturing has gotten really good in the last 10 years). And where you live, I'll bet the skies are nice and dark - you should own a telescope anyway, LOL.

Say, that gives me an idea... how about I bring my 18" dob down to your place and let you view through it and hook your camera up to it, and in exchange, I go home with a piece of malyasian driftwood? :)
let me come and in exchange I'll drive. I haven't owned a telescope in years.

maddog10

Members
I own a teleconverter, but I have not been happy with any shots from it (they are all WAY to soft).

I was using an old Nikon 4.5/300mm manual focus lens. f/11, ISO 200, shutter speed was 1/640"

Last thing I need is another hobby LOL! You can bring your telescope though and I'll try to get a decent shot ;)