• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Too Busy for Proper Care

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I hate when I'm so busy that I start neglecting my fish tanks. I've been working full time and taking full-time graduate school classes for the past several months and it has definitely taken its toll on my fish maintenance. Water changes start going longer between, algae starts building up on rocks and glass, an illness might go unnoticed...

I was feeding my blue orchid tank the other day when a female released a mouthful of fry to get some food. I have some calvus growing out in the tank, so those fry didn't last longer than 30 seconds. I didn't even realize I had a female holding. I checked out the tank and found another holding female. I took a survey of my other tanks, and found another 3 holding females I hadn't noticed before.

I don't like being so busy that I start to neglect the fish tanks. How do you manage your time to make sure you give adequate time to your fish? I'm often doing water changes while doing homework late at night. I've had a few overflows from not paying attention. I should probably start documenting my husbandry practices to track my schedule.

Cartel

Members
I have been in the same boat myself which is why i currently have essientially and empty tank. I wish I could get a little more motivated or excited about it again.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
ITS AMAZING HOW YOU CAN GET DERAILED DUE TO JUST LIFES BUSY SCHEDULE IN GENERAL. ALL IT TAKES IS YOU HAVE TO GO OUT OF TOWN FOR THE WEEKEND, KIDS HAVE GAMES/ PERFORMANCES, WORK SCHEDULE CHANGES AND BAM YOU DIDNT GET TO DO SOMETHING THIS WEEK. SO YOU SAY " ILL GET THAT NEXT WEEK" THEN YOU GET UNANNOUNCED GUESTS. YOU LOOK UP AND ITS BEEN 2 WEEKS AND YOU HAVE NEGLECTED ONE OR ALL OF YOUR TANKS.

I sort of simplified my tanks in the past six months or so. I settled on stock for all three and stayed with that. All same species so no aggression, somewhat lightly stocked so can go a bit longer between changes, stopped C02 to reduce that complication in the planted tanks. I still enjoy my fish but are not constantly stressed out about one thing or another.

rsretep

Members
I must be one of the lucky ones, I get to see my fish every day except when I go away for a weekend with the wife.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Internal seasons

Compensatory behavior - cut back/down on feeding temporarily and 25% water changes go to 50%+. I sort of view algae as a good and natural thing within reason, and only remove it from the front glass as a rule anyway, preferring to leave it where it doesn't compromise my "viewing pleasure". Not sure how the fish feel about it but like to imagine that it helps them feel more secure and oriented.

londonloco

Members
I don't know how you'all with 20+ tanks do it. It's all I can do to keep up with 8 tanks and a couple of bowls. Why I don't breed anymore, it became a "third job", not fun anymore. Made me cranky, and that's def not a good thing.....

dogofwar

CCA Members
Something that definitely hastens water changes for me (at least on big tanks) is a larger diameter siphon. I can do a quick 1/4 water change on a 180g in <15 mins...

Just doing a little water change every week or so can make a huge difference. And you can always clean up algae and aquascape when you have a chance...

Matt