• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tiny White Bugs?

YSS

Members
I have been noticing tiny white bugs crawling around on the glass inside the tank. I can't really see the bugs when the tank is full with water, but when I do a water change and the water level goes down, I can see the bugs. There are tons of them. They look like tiny baby spiders. Anyone knows what these bugs are?

Leffler817

CCA Members
I once had this too and I was told they were 'glass worms or mites'. They live in just about every tank and thrive when there is extra uneaten food in the substrate of the tank. In small amounts they are harmless. They are harmful, however, when they multiply to a noticeable level. The shop owner who informed me went on to say they enter the gills of the fish and eventually will kill them. The fix was to do a water change and add a few more bottom feeders to clean up after my messy eating new world cichlids. I did the water change and added 2 Clown Loaches and never had the problem again. I do not know if what he told me was true but the solution worked for me. I hope this helps.

YSS

Members
I once had this too and I was told they were 'glass worms or mites'. They live in just about every tank and thrive when there is extra uneaten food in the substrate of the tank. In small amounts they are harmless. They are harmful, however, when they multiply to a noticeable level. The shop owner who informed me went on to say they enter the gills of the fish and eventually will kill them. The fix was to do a water change and add a few more bottom feeders to clean up after my messy eating new world cichlids. I did the water change and added 2 Clown Loaches and never had the problem again. I do not know if what he told me was true but the solution worked for me. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I have planaria. Mites make more sense. I do feed my fish a lot, but I have tons of bottom feeders, so I don't think I have left over uneaten food. Anyone knows whether these "mites" could harm and kill the fish?

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I have lots of tanks and several have little white bugs crawling around on ledges at the top where there is water collecting. Years ago (maybe 40) it botherd me. Now I don't worry about it. I figure some of those little white bugs will eventually fall in the tank and get eaten. That's a good thing.

Planeria are worms, not bugs.

George