• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

This is CRAZY!!!!!!!! Need some help.

Need some assistance here, got in around 1am this morning (I work nights) blue led lights on my 75 gallon was on as normal (I have the set to come on so I can see my fish before I head to bed) all was fine as usual. Woke up this morning and half my tank was dead????????? I lost two Frontosa's, one Jacobfreibergi and 5 Pseudotropheus johanni.

As I was typing this my third Font is swimming around like he is disorientated. I just removed him from the tank and put him in a sick tank but it does not look good.

This morning as soon as I saw dead fish, I immediately did a 75 percent water change and tested the old water. All my readings were good except for my Nitrate????? My tank has been established for over a year and I normally perform a 50 percent water change every week because of the amount of fish in my tank. I have a AC110 and a Cascade 1500 canister running and my water parameters have always been normal until today? Any help will do in trying to understand what is going on with my tank.

madcobra216

Members
Mr. Lee, sorry for your hear that. What size tank are they in?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JasonC

Members
what were your test readings?

Any signs of aggression on the dead fish?

Any signs of disease? Cotton, lesions, red spots, sunken bellies?

+1 with Adam re: the heater... did water temp feel normal? do you have a multimeter you can use to check to see if there is voltage in the tank?

what were your test readings?

Any signs of aggression on the dead fish?

Any signs of disease? Cotton, lesions, red spots, sunken bellies?

+1 with Adam re: the heater... did water temp feel normal? do you have a multimeter you can use to check to see if there is voltage in the tank?

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 4.0?? Usually 0
Water tested medium for hardness

One fish looked chewed on but others nothing. One fish had sunken belly but I treated my whole tank once I realized it. I have dealt with sunken belly before, from another fish that was in the community tank and he pulled thru and my tank continued with no problem

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
Have you added any fish lately? Quarantined them?

Sprayed chemicals or anything near your tank?

Your nitrate should not be 0 with a properly "cycled" tank...even with lots of plants there should be some nitrate.

Matt

I added some fish but I didn't quarantine them (with I had) but that odd part is my other fish are swimming around like nothing is going on. No haven't sprayed anything around my 75 (it sits in my kitchen) my nitrate have always been 0 if I recall correctly but for me to get a reading for nitrates now is shocking to me especially since I have not replaced my media (I clean my media once a month) nor clean it as of yet.

This thing has gotten me really messed up especially losing my Frontosa's.

Have you added any fish lately? Quarantined them?

Sprayed chemicals or anything near your tank?

Your nitrate should not be 0 with a properly "cycled" tank...even with lots of plants there should be some nitrate.

Matt

olzkool

Members
Have you added any new power heads or new heaters? I had a power head leak voltage once and did the same thing

you added new fish? They infected your tank. It's usual that even with the introduction of a disease or some other issue that not necessarily all fish are affected. This sucks

When was the last time you clean your canister. A dirty canister can turn anaerobic in power outage and the return of power can flush out toxic gas to kill your fish. When you test the water after power return, the evidence is gone.

My canister is cleaned once a month same when I clean my AC 110, plus I have not had a power outage since last year and my tank was not up when that happened. I have noticed some cloudiness in a couple of my fishes eyes and treating my tank but I don't understand what could have killed my fish so quickly before I could see any irregular behavior.

When was the last time you clean your canister. A dirty canister can turn anaerobic in power outage and the return of power can flush out toxic gas to kill your fish. When you test the water after power return, the evidence is gone.