• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thinking of warmer pastures...

JasonC

Members
So all the cold weather has got me pining for springtime gardening chores. (that and the Burpee catalog came the other day ;P)I was thinking about possibly trying some type of aquaponics this year, or at least a container fountain of some sort. No idea what type of fish to try with it, but pretty sure that the common go-to for aquaponics , black tilapia, is pretty much right out. I know there are a number of you who do outdoor tanks in the summer... what are you all looking at trying to keep out there this year? Any Aquaponics practitioners that use ornamental fish rather than food fish? Interested in ideas here..

Leffler817

CCA Members
A colleague at my last school got me hooked on the idea of creating a hydroponic tomato garden in a giant tub with tilapia in it. There's info online about tilapia farmers using this method. When I moved into my own place with the space for a large tub I plan on giving this a try.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JasonC

Members
Aquaponics.
It's really cool I want to try it but I want to have cold hardy species and do it outside.

Definitely want to do it outside.. preferably right along w/ my veggie garden... I think I am less interested in species that could overwinter outside, and was curious about tropical/subtropical species that I could just harvest and sell off at the end of the growing season since my family for the most part does not eat fish... and I would imagine that I would need more than a small barrel to be able to have species that could effectively overwinter...

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I've seen people do it with crabs and other things doesn't have to be fish...you could do freshwater shrimp harvest and freeze to feed your fish during winter even sell a few.
I've also got the need to garden.
I have lemongrass shoots, green onions and a few other herbs that need to go outside they are having a hard time indoors right now...