• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The white babies of My Bemba

demasoni

Members
Hello,

I have experienced a really interesting event two years ago. One of my female Bemba's Baby was borned in white. Not all babies, one of the four or five babies was borned like that. The other ones were normal bemba. The white ones turned from white to yellow after a few months. And the situation has become even more interesting. Now, they grew up, some of them are two years old. And they are completely yellow. But i cant figure out how did it happen. Can anyone explain this situation? Or did you see anything like this? In the meantime, I suspect the fact that male fish is bulu point.(I bought it as bemba when he was 3cm.) Now I'm adding photos and videos. Waiting for comments, thanks.

Here is a baby.
1001737x.jpg

And the older ones.(They turned to yellow from white)

dscf3466l.jpg

And now i am adding their mother and father's photos.

On left, their mothers.

wkye.jpg

And the fish which is on hindmost is father of these yellows!

dono.jpg

And a photo of yellow and normal bemba. They are brothers and sisters! They borned from same mother even at same time and one of them is yellow and one of them is a beautiful black bemba.

fjbk.jpg

Here is a video of adult yellows!

https://www.youtube....h?v=eLKvBxKWvCI

And the new borned babies video. (Mother bemba fried 13 babies and 3 of them is white!)

https://www.youtube....h?v=9DejMwaucHU

I really dying to see the comments about my fish. Because i dont know their kind and i'd to learn about it. I think this is a interesting mutation. If i am not wrong, a mutation like this is happening on sp.black caramba as caramba red bishop. Maybe it is a new kind of tropheus which has not seen before. Could this mutation happen on bemba too like caramba?

Yael

Members
btw - if you breed the all yellows to each other they'll breed true to the all yellow but if you breed them to their sibs that have black, some of the fry will have black and some will be all yellow if the sib has the recessive gene - or all will have black if the sib doesn't carry the recessive.

If you breed the black sibs to each other it's likely that some parents will give rise to all yellow fry.

Neat looking fish. You should set up some other people to also breed these yellows so as not to chance losing the line.

Forester

Members
btw - if you breed the all yellows to each other they'll breed true to the all yellow but if you breed them to their sibs that have black, some of the fry will have black and some will be all yellow if the sib has the recessive gene - or all will have black if the sib doesn't carry the recessive.

If you breed the black sibs to each other it's likely that some parents will give rise to all yellow fry.

Neat looking fish. You should set up some other people to also breed these yellows so as not to chance losing the line.

+1 THAT IS REALLY COOL

demasoni

Members
Oh, thanks a lot. I mentioned about these fish in 7-8 other forum and i must say that "amelanism" is the most logical option i have ever heard. I wiped the albinism idea due to not have red eyes and i did not make any research about these genetic mutations after i removed albinism from the choices.
As i see on the link which you sent, red eyes are not necessary on amelanism and most of them have normal eyes. Having yellow skin supports this idea too.
The thing i suspect is about their parents. Certainly comes to mutation but i think that the male one might be a bulu point instead of bemba and the female is a bemba. So Can hybridization cause this mutation? At least can it increase the possiblity? Consequently, if the parents are from different kind of sp.black, their chromosomes could be different a bit. And this can cause the mutation. Am i wrong? I'm not an expert on genetic and i am confused.

You've been very helpful with saying about amelanism. Thanks again!

The videos, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLKvBxKWvCI

And the white babies with normal bemba brother and sisters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DejMwaucHU

Last edited:

demasoni

Members
According to my research, there is a type of amelanism and it's called leucism. On leucism the eyes and skin looks normal. I think they are leucistic!

Yael

Members
I can't really say about whether they are a hybrid or not but I doubt that the all yellow would come from such a hybridization. In my experience, almost all lack of dark pigment comes from a recessive gene which would mean that it would have to come from both parents.

It may be that both the mom and pop species have this gene running through the populations or, and this is my bet, your mom and pop are sibs or at least related and carry this amelanin gene in common each as a recessive.

If I'm right, breeding all yellow to each other will always give you yellow, never black banding.

demasoni

Members
Thanks, I agree. Definitely it's about recessive genes.

I guess i must handle with only bemba mother to get yellow babies. Because there is no way to get yellow babies except from the mom. For now i couldn't get any babies from yellow&yellow. They don't hold the eggs more than 2-3 days. I think we need to wait to they get used to it.

Yael

Members
How old are the young ones? Maybe they need more private quarters away from the larger parents in order to be comfy breeding?

demasoni

Members
Their ages are completely different because their mom giving these gifts 2 or 3 every time. The eldest one is almost 2 years old. She spitted the eggs for 3-4 times. And i runned out of patience. I hope this time she will succes. All my tanks full of with my other fish and i can't make a new room for them. At least for now. :(

Yael

Members
I'm not sure of this but I think this is how electric yellow labs came into being - just this type of gene mutation that gave rise to the new strain of all yellow labs.

If possible, I'd let a few of these guys go to a friend or someone who has a breeding set up and see if they can't get the young to carry eggs. It would really be cool to get them out into the hobby.

demasoni

Members
You could start a new strain!!!!!!

:) My friends keep telling me this too. Even, they want me to name these miracle fish. Because they are thinking that it is a new kind of tropheus. If what we've been thinking is true, i want to name them as " Bemba Yellowish Body" :)

Very nice! congrats, thanks for sharing ;)

Thanks, it is good to hear these things from an expert. :happy0144:

I'm not sure of this but I think this is how electric yellow labs came into being - just this type of gene mutation that gave rise to the new strain of all yellow labs.

If possible, I'd let a few of these guys go to a friend or someone who has a breeding set up and see if they can't get the young to carry eggs. It would really be cool to get them out into the hobby.

Wow, never thought about yellow labs but it might be true, actually this situation which we are talking about related with cichlid evolution thing, i suppose...

I gave some of the bemba babies to my friend. Those babies borned with these yellow ones but they borned as a bemba. But they probably carry these yellow gene as recessive. So my friend has 30 of them and trying to produce them. Now they are about 2-2.5" and some of the females started to hold.

Also the bemba mom is about to hold the eggs. If she success again, i will share the yellow babies with my friends too. I think this is going to be start of a new line. :)