• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The most ridiculous question I have ever had to ask...

JasonC

Members
I have a tank w/ 5 grow outs in it... all five of them have mile long poos stringing out behind them... and have had them for almost a week now.. its almost like No-shave-november... but with... well... poop.

Other than the fact that its narsty, and they need to learn to wipe their butts... do fish have butts? gah... yeah... should I be concerned?

Its weird.

chriscoli

Administrator
Heh, that's too funny! I used to have a common pleco that would do laps around the tank and wrap the plants in one continuous poo. Unfortunately the tank was visible from the dining room...it would sort of become the elephant in the room when we had guests over....everyone glancing at the tank, but nobody actually admitting that they were checking to see if it was still there, until someone (usually me) would yell, "sheesh, pinch it off already!".

but seriously, are you feeding them anything unusual? Maybe add some more fiber?

what kind of fish are they? do they get to continually graze during the day?

Any reason to think that there's excess mucous being produced, maybe holding the poo together?

JasonC

Members
but seriously, are you feeding them anything unusual? Maybe add some more fiber?

what kind of fish are they? do they get to continually graze during the day?

Any reason to think that there's excess mucous being produced, maybe holding the poo together?

Feeding Hikari micro pellets... I'll change it up to see if that helps.. other than internal parasites, not sure what else could cause excess mucus... so really hoping its not that...

Is it White and stringy?

Nah... not the "sausage casing, no sausage" type... it seems to be normal... relatively speaking..

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have had several fish over the years that were exceptionally talented in creating the long poo. All were healthy and I didn't seem to notice an outside factor that contributed (ie not all the fish in the tank did it). Currently, my female cryptoheros septemfaciatus seems to always have a poo about as long as her body hanging down.

fish

Banned
You are lucky. My pleco always has a pile of like 20+ small strings on the bottom left side where he hangs out i hsve to net it out every week.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app