• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The Eagles Are There...

...at the Susquehanna River near the Conowingo Dam. The large congregation has started. I saw about thirty bald eagles feeding on fish wedged in the rocks on the Cecil county side of the river. There is not a lens long enough to capture them from the park area below the dam on the Harford county side. And the access to them over on the Cecil county side is near impossible without spooking them. But, when they start generating electricity at the dam and draw the water through, they work their way toward the Harford county side to feed on the fish forced through the turbines. You may get lucky and have one fly right over your head.

If only I had a longer lens...

3aConowingoEagle110107.jpg

:character0053:
DSC_0269.jpg

I spent most of the time looking up for the eagles. Then this elderly gent yelled for me to look down and take a picture of his catch. Perhaps a show entry for the Catfish Convention. :lol:

maddog10

Members
Nice shot, I know how hard it was just to get that one.

That guy has a 12' (probably) surf rod and reel that looks way undersized for the rod. Ahhh.....the good ol' days!

Give you all an idea how far the eagles are from the shoreline that I am on. These next two photos are very poor, but the opposite shoreline is about a half mile away.

I think you can count six immatures and nine adults in this shot.
3cConowingoEagle110107.jpg

Five adults and five immatures in this one.
3dConowingoEagle110107.jpg

And an adult flying over the island in between shores where the power lines are located.
3bConowingoEagle110107.jpg

DeeCee

Members
Awesome! Thanks for sharing those Bobby!
In Wisconsin, bald eagles are making a comeback but it's rare to see them ever. Great to know that they're doing well here and see them in their natural habitat - especially to see so many at once!

and that catfish looks tasty (EVERYTHING is making me hungry these days - ????)

Charlutz

Members
Bobby, please stop apologizing for your pics. Whenever you do, you just make me feel worse about the ones I post. :spanka:

cyradis4

Members
I agree with Charlutz!

Your "bad" pics are much much better then even my best..... Though I will say that you have inspired me to learn how to use my camera much better!!!!! Keep the pics coming!!!!!!

Later!
Amanda.