• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The 125 project

Hannibal

Members
Well I finally picked up my first "big" tank this weekend (Thank you Jesse!!) so let the fun begin!! It's a drilled 125 gallon acrylic tank. 60"L x 18"W x 24"T

It needs some TLC so it will truly be the project tank I was looking for.

I have to:
1. Clean up the tank see how much scratch removal needs to take place. It doesn't seen too bad from first glance.
2. Sand, polish, ect to get the tank back to show quality.
3. Figure out this whole sump business.
4. Build a sump, stand, and canopy.
5. Figure out what else I want to add to the tank besides my Taiwan Reef breeding group.
6. Break down the 55 and move everyone in!!

It should be fun and a learning experience so I am looking forward to the adventure. I will try to post up pictures along the way to document the progress. Here is the tank currently. And yes my couch in my basement is orange, fits in perfect in my Miami Dolphins man cave.

daninmd

Members
just so you know, those dimensions make it a 112 gallon tank, not 125. no big deal just thought you should know :)

congrats and nothing like a project to complete and with ALL the knowledge thats part of CCA there shouldnt be any issues you cant get resolved... i am looking forward to the completed project....

Hannibal

Members
Quick update and a question or two...
I think I have figured out 95% of what I need to do in order to get this tank up and running.

My acrylic scratch remover / cleaning kit will be in tomorrow so I will start working on that tomorrow or Friday. I might be able to get it done since I took both days off since we are slow and I have the PTO time.

The stand I am just going to build out of 2x4's, cover in a nicer wood, and either stain or paint. I am going to build a canopy just not sure when I will do that yet. I will probably concentrate on getting the tank up and running first.

Now for the part that I have questions on...
The tank is pre-drilled with 4 holes in the overflow, 2 for draining and 2 for a return. I am pretty sure I am going to do the "Herbie" method for the stand pipes since it seems to be the quietest and has the backup standpipe should the original get clogged.

The part I am having problems with figuring out is what return pump to get for the sump.
I will have 2 1" bulkheads for draining except only one is going to be the full time drain since the other is a backup. So I am guessing I will have a 600 GPH flow rate which will give me about a 5-6x turnover in the tank. What should I pick up for a pump, something that matches the 600 gph? What brand of pump would you recommend? I would like something that is quiet and also energy efficient, quiet being the higher of the two requirements.

As for the sump itself I have a 29 gallon, the 55 I am breaking down, or might see if anyone has a scratched up tank they have laying around. Any thoughts on what size I should use or have any tanks laying around you are looking to get rid of? I am also open to the idea of using an actual sump instead of making one if you have one of those as well. I have tossed around the idea of making the DIY sump out of the Rubbermaid tower and container, I am just skeptical on the longevity of it compared to my other two options.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Awesome pickup! Good luck with the project. I haven't done any of my own sumps, but Tony is still using the Rubbermaid container/tower on his 180, and I think its been going for at least 2 years now. Out of the box sumps are expensive, but the easiest option. Building them gives you more flexibility if you're willing to take the time.

I don't know enough to comment on the pumps or anything, but let me know if you need help with the leg work. A group of peacocks and another group of haps would make that an awesome breeding tank.

londonloco

Members
Can we see a pic of the overflow holes? I have never seen a sump set up where the return lines are drilled into the overflow box.

I'm doing a 60g shallow reef at the moment, and will be plumbing it this weekend. I designed my set up to use a bean animal overflow system, which is a spin off of the herbie method, but uses 3 drain lines, one primary, one secondary and a siphon. It is 100% safe and silent. You should look into it:

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

The one change that has been made over the years is to use a gate valve fitted with true unions for the primary line so you can dial in the flow to the "sweet spot" that makes the system 100% silent. The secondary and siphon uses true union ball valves. Don't skimp on the true unions, if you ever have to disassemble the plumbing, you'll be happy you have them.

On my 125g mbuna tank I use a mag 9.5, which is 950gph, if you figure in head height and split returns, I'm getting more like 600gph. Mags are reliable, mine has literally been working for 9 years almost continually, but they are louder than I like, I can easily hear the pump with the cabinet doors closed. For my new system, I went with a Eheim 1262, also 900gph, with head and split (about 58") Eheim's graph puts it out as between 650 and 700gph. I've physically heard systems with Eheim pumps, and they are silent when the cab doors are closed. I'm hoping this isn't too much flow, if it is, I might have a pump for sale :blush:

Hannibal

Members
Sure thing...
Inside shot

Shot of the front of the overflow where they will come out back into the tank.

I did see the bean animal style when I was doing some research and thought about it but did not want to give up one of the outputs to make it work and I am not drilling any holes in this tank, lol.

As for the pumps I have been thinking about getting two smaller pumps and running them instead of one bigger pump. My reasoning behind it is that I will have plenty of room in the sump since I am making my own and if one of them fails I will still have the other one up and running. I have read good things about the Mag pumps was just wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the other brands that are out there which may be a touch bit quieter.

londonloco

Members
Ahhh, now I see how the tank is set up. I've never seen that set up before, doesn't matter tho, it is what it is. I've never done a google search on running two pumps, but in my recent plumbing searchs I have read using two pumps is problematic as you will never have both running exactly at the same GPH, and that is a problem with levels in the sump. The best advice I can give you is to do your research, ask questions (pm people if need be) and when you think you've read enough, read some more.

As far as pump recommendations, mag's are work horse's but loud, I'm sitting right next to my 125g and I def would not put one in my den. I've read over and over the Eheims are way pricier, but def quiet. If you wait a few weeks I'll have mine up and running, then I can give you first hand advice on Eheim pumps.

One more thing, you have just holes, you know you have to buy bulkheads that fit into and seal the holes, right?

Hannibal

Members
I never thought about the problems with the pumps running different GPH and how it would effect the level of the sump. I have been doing a bunch of reading about sumps on different reef forums and such, the two pump idea just came to me I have not had a chance to do any research on it yet.

Yes I do know about the bulkheads and how to measure the hole to determine the bulkhead size that I need. Thanks for your feedback so far and once you have yours up and running feel free to post up in here how the Eheim pump is working for you.

londonloco

Members
Eheim pump is up and running. It's much quieter than the Mag, but not dead silent. I guess I'm still in search for the silent pump :(

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I like Mag Drive pumps. Submersible, reasonably priced, durable as hell, reliable and pretty common in the hobby (along with replacement parts). IMO, the workhorse of the aquarium pump world.... think of them like the Aquaclear of pumps.

I use a MAG 12 on my 180, I think.

Love my DIY Rubbermaid. Not as high tech as some other folks' setups, but it has a ton of volume for media as well as extra water. For less than $100, I know of no other way to filter a 180 with 30+ adult haps in it.