• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thanks Frank Cowherd

kkober

Members
My new pair of mikrogeophagus ramirezi!
They fit awesome and can’t wait to get them in there own tank so they can produce more offspring.

b5meqe.jpg

kkober

Members
Thanks all! I plan to move them to a fully planted tank once it has cycled completely so they can be on their own.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Rams are one of the harder cichlids to spawn successfully in my opinion. THey can be good parents but often are not. If they are in their own tank will no other fish, they have the best shot at raising fry. They can be better parents if they have a dither fish present which they assume will eat their fry or eggs, but you only need one dither, like a tetra or a rainbow or a platy. Lots of vegetation helps and in particular java moss since it contains the micro organisms needed to feed the fry.

In a heavily planted tank you might see the eggs and then they disappear. It might not be that they ate the eggs. The parents can and will move the fry from place to place and they are so small that they might not be seen. You might only see them again when the fry become free swimming and move around in a cloud.

The fry are so small you must either have a quart sized mound of java moss for the fry to find food. Or you must culture and feed paramecium to them. After a few days of eating micro organisms, start feeding baby brine shrimp.

The other way to go is to remove the eggs as soon as you see them and hatch them in a separate small tank. This is what I do.