• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

tank maintenance

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Hi All,

It's a great day out here in Maryland today. How is everybody doing? Anyway, I've had my tank up for a little over a month now. My four fish are doing well. Ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm. Nitrates may be about 5ppm. PH is around 8.2.

When I did my water change today, I saw a lot of debris (looked old poop). When things get stirred up into the column because water changes do you guys use a net or some additional siphoning tube to get free flowing debris out of the tank?

Jefft

Members
Tre,

I cant speak for other folks.. But I use a "python" it is a hose that attaches to the kitchen faucet and when turn on the faucet creates a vacum and sucks water out of your tank and drains it directly to the sink. Also the suction is powerful enough to skim the bottom of the tank "sucking up" the poop and other debris. It is a great tool and makes water changes so much easier than when I first started in the hobby and was doing them by the buckets.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Tre,

I cant speak for other folks.. But I use a "python" it is a hose that attaches to the kitchen faucet and when turn on the faucet creates a vacum and sucks water out of your tank and drains it directly to the sink. Also the suction is powerful enough to skim the bottom of the tank "sucking up" the poop and other debris. It is a great tool and makes water changes so much easier than when I first started in the hobby and was doing them by the buckets.

Thanks, Jeff. I think that I am using a comparable system. It's by Aqueon. I had a difficult time getting the sucking power you described. Is your tank on the same floor as your sink? Would it be more effective if I used a sink on a lower floor (basement)?

Jefft

Members
Yeah Tre same floor for me so no up the stairs or down the stairs flow or pressure needed. I cant speak to that situation maybe someone else out there can.

ezrk

Members
If you can use a sink on a lower level than the fish tanks it will be much more effective. if the water source is much above the water level in the fish tanks it will likely be ineffective.

Our condo is all one level. When we initially hooked up a python to our shower head, the most convenien water source for us, it did not work at all. When we attached a hose so the python connection was sitting in the bottom of the tub (so about 6 feet lower) it works just fine.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Yeah Tre same floor for me so no up the stairs or down the stairs flow or pressure needed. I cant speak to that situation maybe someone else out there can.

Thanks, Jeff.

If you can use a sink on a lower level than the fish tanks it will be much more effective. if the water source is much above the water level in the fish tanks it will likely be ineffective.

Our condo is all one level. When we initially hooked up a python to our shower head, the most convenien water source for us, it did not work at all. When we attached a hose so the python connection was sitting in the bottom of the tub (so about 6 feet lower) it works just fine.

The water line and in the tank is probably not more than a 12inces above the faucet at the sink on the same floor. I may be able to hook up to my shower in the basement as I have sprayer hose hooked to wash my dog.

The Aqueon does work for filing up the tank on the same floor. Anyhow, only a 37 gallon tank. Entire process still less than 15min. Thanks for help/suggestions fellas!!

mchambers

Former CCA member
When I drain my two tanks on our first floor, I run the water changer hose into the yard and don't connect it to a faucet. The plants seem to like it. Since our yard is several feet below the first floor of the house, the suctioning is pretty strong.