• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

synodontis petricola

69cichlids

Members
So I got 5 of these guys at a fish swap, they are about 3/4" I was wondering what size of cichlids can I put them with? Right now I have them in a grow out tank with my fry that are a bit smaller then the catfish, I'm worried they will eat my fry. I tried putting them in a bigger grow out tank with a little bigger fish, a lil over an inch but they seemed to be going up to the catfish and nip at them, I don't want any of my fish to be meals...any ideas? I would set up another tank but the wife would kill me...literal

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd keep them by themselves until they get around 2". I found my group to be relatively slow growing and wouldn't want to risk them getting killed by bigger cichlids.

rsretep

Members
I keep two petricola, one in cihlid growout tank with all juvies being atleast 3/4" with no problems, the other is in 30 breeder with breeding colony of julidochromis transcriptus the julies are excellent parents and defend their fry, I believe the synodontis knows where he/she can or can not go...I also make sure the synodontis has places to hide also to keep down on attacks from the cihlids

69cichlids

Members
I'd keep them by themselves until they get around 2". I found my group to be relatively slow growing and wouldn't want to risk them getting killed by bigger cichlids.

What about cichlids that are close to the same size?

rsretep

Members
some of my growouts are about the same size and I have no problems with the cichlids picking on the synodontis, my growout tank has cryptoheros cutteri, julidochromis dickfeldi, metriaclima cyneusmarginitas,and geophagus steindachneri (red humps)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The catfish have spiny dorsal rays that make them unappetizing. I have 4" petricola in a tank with 8" haps and they have never damaged by the big cichlids. Catfish live in the lake with larger fish and have built in defense mechanisms.

toddnbecka

Members
I have 7 juvies in my 220 that I've only seen once this year, when I took out the large hollow rock formation ornament they hide inside to rearrange the tank a bit. Just provide them with a suitable hiding place and nothing will bother them.

69cichlids

Members
So what you guys are saying us not to worry about it, I could stick them in my bigger tank with good coverage and but worry about the 8in fish eating them...

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Not at 3/4". As John said, they'd probaby be better to move after they hit the 2" mark. I think theres a limit in size difference, and the farther apart they are, the more risk you take. Was just saying that once they get to be decent sized, you can put them with anyone once enough cover is available. For now, don't worry about them getting picked on by young fish.

toddnbecka

Members
With good cover the 8" fish will never see them. They'll come out after dark to eat, just make sure there's food available for them. Cichlids generally ignore catfish unless they're spawning and defending their territory IME.

69cichlids

Members
I'm going to move them into a bigger tank with better cover than what is there now and small cichlids also

Mague

Members
Like toddnbecka said. Cichlids will ignore the catfish maybe they will nip them at first just of curiosity. But i havent seen my cichlids harrasing my catfishes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

69cichlids

Members
what do you feed your cats? Mine don't seem to eat left over food I fed my cichlids

69cichlids

Members
huh well thats what iv been putting in there along with some crushed tetracichild crisps

69cichlids

Members
Yes, I feed the crisp morning and night and then the pellets at night with the crisp so my cichlids don't eat them all, problem is they sit at the bottom and then decompose

marge618

CCA member
So what you guys are saying us not to worry about it, I could stick them in my bigger tank with good coverage and but worry about the 8in fish eating them...

8in cichlids might do some REAL damage to your little cats:)

Mague

Members
Sorry i didnt saw that your cichlids where 8 inches and the catfish 3/4. The catfish are too small. I wouldnt put them with cichlids that big is too much difference in size. I would wait for the catfishes to get bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

69cichlids

Members
No no no lol I have 8in in my 80, I had the cats in a 10 with fry about a week old. I was afraid the cats would eat them, thought I read that somewhere that they will eat smaller fish...I now have them in one of my 30s with fish about an inch, the cats are about an inch n a quarter or so...