• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sump users?

jet

Members
I have a 160gal reef ready tank, dual overflows, and a 45gal sump. I want to run the sump but I'm not 100% on the media for a cichlid tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GS3 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome to the forum.

I use about 6" of Poret foam, then Bioballs in a wet/dry section, then a bunch of plastic pot-scrubbers in the bottom section, under the water level. You could also keep some live plants for nitrate removal if your space can accommodate them.

Good luck.

jet

Members
So I made a spray bar for my tank, my tank is 6' and my spray bar is 4' 8" with 12 holes in it. My return pump is a mag drive 12.

-Jet

ezrk

Members
We have two basically identical sumps.

We have a wet/dry media box that has from top to bottom:

Course Poret Foam (the Orange stuff)
Bio-balls
Fine Poret Foam (lt blue)
blue filter bad

and a chamber that is planted with Water Wysteria in one tank and Swords in the other tank. The Wysteria is going crazy but looks slightly less healthy at this point than the swords. We only recently took to planting the sumps so still experimenting at this point.

We have at various times had more Poret foam completely submerged as a second layer of filtration/bio-media but have removed them.