• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Suggestions for SA or CA 90g display tank

chris_todd

Members
So I've not been very active in a while, as my fish keeping has been largely on hold while we deal with some basement renovation issues. But we're approaching a time when I can consolidate all but the kitchen tank into one room in the basement, where I'll have a 75g planted SE Asian community tank, a 110g all male hap and peacock tank, and a plywood 150g with three oscars and probably some dithers and cories.

I find myself not knowing what to put in the fourth tank, a 90g (48" x 18" footprint). I have previously kept a planted discus tank, but I want to go in a new direction (I think I'm done with discus for now), and I'm thinking about trying some SA or CA cichlids I've never kept before. I'm relatively unfamiliar with anything other than the popular SA species (discus, angels, apistos, rams, etc.), so I'm looking for some expert suggestions.

What I'm looking for is a colorful display tank, with relatively peaceful fish (not interested in CA predators or bruisers, sorry, DQ!), possibly planted, but I could do just sand, rocks, and driftwood, too. I'd like to avoid messing with my Baltimore City tap water, which tends to range from 7.4 to 7.8 and is moderately hard, so any blackwater species are obviously out.

The two species I've been enamored with for some time are Geophagus altifrons and Thorichthys meeki. From what I've read, however, the altifrons really want a 6 foot tank and softer, more acidic water than I can provide (without mixing with rainwater or RO/DI), but the Firemouths would seem to be better for a 4 foot tank with my water parameters.

So, aside from those two candidates, are there other interesting SA or CA fish that meet my criteria? I would prefer a group of larger fish (>5" adults), rather than dwarf species (of which there are many pretty ones). I already have the three oscars in the 150, so I'm not looking for wet pets, but something 6-8" would be neat.

And if I went with Firemouths, how many would be a good number for a 90, and what kind of tank mates would be appropriate?

I would also consider some of the colder water SA cichlids, since these tanks are in the basement, which is typically 60-68 degrees year round. Running tanks without a heater obviously means one less thing to fail, which is appealing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I don't mind doing research and reading (hell, I love it, actually), but my ignorance of SA and CA genera and species makes it really hard to even know where to start. So broad suggestions of "look at this book/website/genus/species/region" would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey Chris,

Good to hear you're pumped again about setting up another tank.

After going to Rusty Wessel's fish house at the ACA, I sort of got bitten with the central American bug. Hanging out with Matt Quinn and Jon Clark sealed the deal and they really gave me some great advice on compatibility.

Picked up a group of Thorichthys ellioti and some Cryptoheros panamensis. I'm planning on throwing them in a 75 once they grow out a bit and I move my tropheus (out of the house, lol). Planning on tossing in some wild-type sword tails to take up the higher levels of the water column. May eventually move them over to my 125, but that would be a long term plan involving more groups of fish. A lot of larger new world fish find their fun in rearranging the substrate, so don't plan on doing anything too elaborate... I'm thinking mostly driftwood, rock and a few potted or tied-on plants.

For a warm water SA setup, smaller eartheaters are really cool and just as pretty as altifrons. I have some G. parnibae which stay pretty small. Red head Tapajos also work in a 4' tank.

I'm sure some of the "brown fish gurus" can give you some better advice than this, but it's a start. :)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think a group of thorichthys would fit pretty well in a 75. Unlike a lot of Central American Cichlids, most successful keepers of thorichtys keep them in groups rather than pairs. Throw in some live bearers to give some action to the tank and I think you would have a nice set up.

The only tough think with meeki is making sure you get quality fish to start with. Since they are so popular, they are mass bred and some just don't get the nice coloration that the species is capable of having.

Like Tony said, they tend to move substrate around so plants probably won't last too long. Good luck with the set up.

Don't forget about rainbows!! Herotilapia multispinosa (CAs). They get about 4" big and the males are quite gorgeous. They breed readily and are not hard on other tank mates. I've flooded the club with some of my babies so I don't pull fry anymore, but could if you are interested. They do well in groups until they pair off. Don't uproot plants too much, but may do some rearranging if they want to lay eggs somewhere you are bound and determined to keep planted!

mchambers

Former CCA member
I expect I'll have some young rainbows ready to go in a month or two, since I have 10-15 fry growing right now, if you want to go that way.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Chris - As for the group size for FM's in a 90, I'd start go with 6-8. You should have enough room for them to have a few different territories. You could do a pair of cryptoheros in the tank as well, but I have found that thorichthys are all bark and no bite when it comes to aggression. An aggressive pair of cryptos may be trouble for the meeki.

TMSB805

Members
You could do a pair of cryptoheros in the tank as well, but I have found that thorichthys are all bark and no bite when it comes to aggression. An aggressive pair of cryptos may be trouble for the meeki.

I have cutteri and t.pasiones together and my pasiones bite matches their bark for sure.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'm really loving my current SA 90g tank. Currently it houses:

8 Geophagus sp. 'Tapajos' Red-head
8 Biotodoma cupido
8 Von Rio tetras
6 Scissortail rasboras
15 Corydoras sterbai
2 fancy plecos

The red heads have actually started to breed in this community setup! My alpha male is currently holding eggs or fry. I think everything will work pretty well long term, with the exception of possibly removing a few extra males if things get over aggressive.

I use Baltimore County tap water with no additives, sand substrate, driftwood for buffering, and several types of anubias. Easy tank to maintain, beautiful without hyper aggresion, and long-term viability.

How about some of the Uruguayan gymnogeophagines?

A nice colony of Gymnogeophagus labiatus "Rio Olimar" or Gymnogeophagus balzanii would look cool and add some color. You could also keep them with some of the cooler water cory's and Ancistrus or Chaetostoma.

A side benefit to these is you don't have to heat the water either.

Andy

dogofwar

CCA Members
All great suggestions!

I've got a bunch of little red head Tapajos (F1s)...and every kind of wild convict-type, cutteri, etc. under the sun!

I'd fully endorse an Uruguayan tank as well ;)

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
When mature, I think the 4 footer would be tight for the altifrons. Males can get 10" or bigger.

Let us know what you finally decide!

MonteSS

Members
Nicaragurnsis get to about 8" and are colorful and not too aggresive

For a SA cool water tank, consider Australoheros Oblongum. Male is in my avatar

...Bill