• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Suggested tank size for large group of Lab. sp. 'Hongi'?

chris_todd

Members
I have two groups of Labidichromis sp. 'Hongi', one group of six in an aquascaped 40 breeder, and a group of 8 in a 50 breeder.

I'd like to consolidate the two groups, and was wondering what tank size you folks thought I should put them in (assuming there's lots of rocks and hiding places, etc.)?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I wouldn't worry about all 14 in either tank, just so there's plenty of filtration and you do WC...

Matt

Rasta Fish

Members
I agree with Matt, they should be fine in either tank, but i would keep them in the 50 breeder if you dont have any plan for that tank, lots of Rocks would help also

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Chris - Is the 50 breeder the 4'x18" version or a tall 40 breeder?

I tend to agree with Matt and Craig.

chris_todd

Members
Tony, the 50 breeder is a tall 40 breeder. 36" x 18" x something like 18" tall.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

chris_todd

Members
Well, I followed everyone's advice, and moved all 14 of my Labidichromis sp. 'Hongi' into my 50 breeder, but not before completely redoing the aquascape. When I had half a dozen of these fish in a sparsely aquascaped 40 breeder, I noticed they seemed skittish, so this time I decided to go all-out with rocks, driftwood, and plants, and create tons of little nooks, crannies, and hiding places, and cut the lines of sight to make it easy for a sub-dominant male or a female to hide from one of the two dominant males.

Here are the results, which the fish seem quite happy about. They seem much more relaxed than they were before, and while this is not going to win any aquascaping contests, and certainly isn't typical of the biotope they come from, they seem to be happy, which is what counts the most.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics.

The obligatory full-tank shot:
fulltank.png

This tank had a Matten filter setup as a tank divider, but I moved the filter sponge all the way to the right, leaving only about 2" of clear space, just enough for the heater and the uplift tubes:
mattenfilter.png

leftside-better.png

rightside.png

females.png

hiding.png

chris_todd

Members
I've been very pleasantly surprised at the change in the demeanor of these fish since settling into this tank. Before, they were skittish and chased each other, and (to anthropomorphise a bit) just seemed nervous and twitchy, hiding instantly whenever anyone entered the room or approached the tank.

Now, after a few days in their new home, they are frequently seen galavanting about in the open area in front in groups of 5-10 as if life is good and they don't have a care in the world. They even come up to the front of tank when you approach, much like my peacocks always have, like they're excited to see you and want to know if you'll come and play with them. :) It's been really cool!