• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stockin help for 20g high

KJacks

Members
I currently have a 20g high with 2 otocinclus n a female gbr . I havent had the ram long mayb a week n i know they are hard to keep but im gonna try n see if i get lucky... what other tankmates can i add ? Could i get a bolivian ram mayb another female n them b ok .. i would like some cories but im not sure about the tank size for them as it says they require a 30g
Sent from my LG-P925 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mchambers

Former CCA member
I generally don't recommend having both German Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams in the same tank and certainly not in a 20 high. I think there's a good chance one would harass the other (hard to say which -- would depend on the temperament of the particular fish). Also, they have different temperature requirements, with the low end of the German Blue Ram range being at the high-end of the Bolivian Ram range, so you'd end up at 80F. Might work, but might not be ideal for either fish.

I've kept corydoras in a 20 high without problem. Again, however, you should think about temperature. Most Corydoras don't like it as warm as 80F, but your German Blue Ram prefers that. The only common Corydoras that likes that temperature is Sterbai. Some others might do okay with 80F, but they might not, too.

KJacks

Members
K.. thanks i wasnt sure exactly n havent had much time to research.. i think my water is at 78° now but it might b 80° now im pretty much back to square one n need some fish .. i might grab some more otos

KJacks

Members
Well now i might b bringing my ram back.. she is eatin the fins off my otos n killed 1 while i was at work .. not sure if i wanna try to change to a different gbr or mayb just change to a bolivian or just skip rams altogether ..

KJacks

Members
Ok so i brought the ram back n i was told they are really aggressive n wouldnt work out with any fish other then more rams or cichlids of similiar size.. i have been talkin to several people about this in they say the complete opposite .. that they are peaceful unless mating or fightin over territory..i would some input on what others have stocked with their rams n how the temperment is..

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I've kept german blue rams with cardinal tetras and never had a problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ddavila06

Members
Well now i might b bringing my ram back.. she is eatin the fins off my otos n killed 1 while i was at work .. not sure if i wanna try to change to a different gbr or mayb just change to a bolivian or just skip rams altogether ..

did you see the ran beat the otto or just came home to find the otto dead and the ram eating the remains perhaps?

i think ur tank is too hot, whats the reasonf ro that? i would get six corydoras from frank, the pigmys that he is selling :wub:

maybe some sort of little tetra or similar fish..and see how it goes

KJacks

Members
I dd check it and its on 78°F which is what my otos have been in since i got them.. i have always kept it on that bc i had a betta n thats the temp it was said to prefer..

I didnt see the ram kill the oto but i did see the ram biting fins off the other otos n thats when i figured thats what killed it..of course i realize it coulda have been something else but they have been fine for atleast 6mths with stable water conditions n no problems at all until i got the ram. Before i realized the ram was nipping i pick up 2 albino cories n the ram also was tryin to eat their fins.. i say tryin she was n i removed her from the tank..

ddavila06

Members
wow, mean mean ram =)

well i dont know what to say..i had bolivian rams and they were perfectly fine in a typical community tank and even lived together with pelvicachromis pulcher..

good luck i guess

KJacks

Members
I have been told thats odd behavior from tons of people so im glad i brought her back while i still could n got my money back.. im adding some plants n tryin to find more hiding spots also to see if that will help plus hopefully ill get a friendly ram this next time.. might consider gettin a bolivian since it is usually not as hard to keep alive but the hubby prefered the german as did i .. but i like them both