• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

stand strong enough?

JasonC

Members
So I have a stand that I got with a 20L, that I am wondering if it is actually a dual 20L stand. Partical board construction, 2 shelves... both are made in a "box" style and bolted to the side walls of the stand. both shelves are exactly the same size, and just the right size for a 20L.

does this sound strong enough to hold two 20L's? I have attached a pic of the shelf construction and joining from the underside.

Thanks!

stand.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would think so. You'd either have to shear off the bolts or "tear" through the particle board to cause a failure. If you don't get the particle board soaking wet, it should be good. I'm assuming that the stand was originally sold as an aquarium stand and not a repurposed other piece of furniture.

bschuhart

Members
I had one like that and had a 29 on top and 20L on the bottom, had it for 30 and several soakings, finally trashed it. Just make sure the bolts don't dig into the particle board. What I mean is mine was bolted and unbolted many time and the holes got deeper, so i just drilled new hole an inch or so from the old ones, to firm things up.

Hawkman2000

Members
Might not be a bad idea to take take it apart, and gluw it together alone with bolting it bake together, if you are that concerned about it.

JasonC

Members
Glad others feel comfortable with 2 tanks on this stand. I wasn't as concerned with the shear strength of the bolts as much as the sides bowing from the weight of the two tanks.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App