• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Speaking of sponge filters

Beeman

Members
Want to include a couple of sponge filters in my 90. I'd like to drive them with the lowest profile power-head possible,or is that over-kill for a sponge. What do you guys/gals drive yours with, power-heads or air-stones? As always, much thanks.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have a few that I drive off of power heads, but they tend to clog up pretty quickly compared to the ones I drive with air. I'd say go air unless the bubbling noise is a problem.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
"poop" filters as someone once remarked

Same here, have small PHs on 40 gallon rated sponges running in two 20 longs and 2 40 breeders (these latter in tandem with small pre-filter equipped HOBs - one for Tangs*, the other for Corydoras/Apistos). Creates nice circular flow in the tanks so all the detritus accumulates around the sponge filters, but they do need to be squeezed clean every 2 to 4 weeks or they tend to collapse because they get so clogged with waste that the suction just draws them in on themselves. If you can deal with that as a maintenance schedule, it's not a bad way to go. Would recommend it provided you don't use a sponge any smaller than a 40-rated, but guessing you may be going up a size given that it's a 90. Haven't yet tried sponges on large tanks except as auxiliaries but as mine are all mostly overstocked am doing the twin canister thing. Does seem like it would be hard to get the full benefit of a large sponge without running it off a powerhead unless one just wants to go months between cleanings. You can also stack sponges on a common and longer uplift/intake tube which I have never tried but that might work well enough to preclude the need for additional filtration - might be a good way to go for a 90 - pretty sure Jehmco has all you'd need at great prices.

*Am sure someone is thinking that Rift species don't require/benefit from current but mine seem more than merely content.

toddnbecka

Members
I use Whisper AP300 air pumps to run sponge filters in all my tanks. Regardless of the other filtration (hob's, canister, and/or powerhead for additional circulation) the sponge filters help pick up additional debris and keep the water moving. Particularly helpful if one of the hob's doesn't restart after a brief power outage or a canister is clogged and slowing down the flow rate.
I use hydro-sponge filters, no airstones or check valves. Air pumps are set above the tanks, and airstones just reduce airflow and create more backpressure/wear on the diaphragms, even before they clog up with minerals from the water.

londonloco

Members
Hate them, when I think I need them (fry) I cringe. Makes a bloody mess every wc. I know that's not the normal view, but it's mine....

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Probably running somewhere north of 50 sponges right now in the fish room (in conjunction with Aquaclears on tanks >40 gallons). They are all on a central pump.

Like Todd said, I do not use airstones. A bit louder, but after a while, airstones will just sort of quit on their own. Even without the stones, you still need to change the airline running down into the sponge occasionally as they will clog over time as well.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Au contraire ye fondler of fishes

Try ceramic sir stones. They're not that expensive, produce millions of small quiet bubbles, deliver smooth flow through the uplift tube, don't splatter like straight air feeds and last for a very very long time - I have yet to replace one after 18 months.

Agree that the conventional composite or compressed fabric ones suck, but the ceramic ones are well, nonpareil.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I try to couple a sponge filter (more air / filled with fluff and some gravel to weigh it down) with a sponge (less air) to keep the sponge from acting as a mechanical filter.

Seems to work pretty well as the tanks with both a box and a sponge stay much cleaner than the ones with only sponges...

Matt

Hate them, when I think I need them (fry) I cringe. Makes a bloody mess every wc. I know that's not the normal view, but it's mine....

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Try ceramic sir stones. They're not that expensive, produce millions of small quiet bubbles, deliver smooth flow through the uplift tube, don't splatter like straight air feeds and last for a very very long time - I have yet to replace one after 18 months.

Agree that the conventional composite or compressed fabric ones suck, but the ceramic ones are well, nonpareil.

Going to give it s shot. Thanks Sam. :)