• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Speaking of Geophagus...

Beeman

Members
Among Geos, is there a species that is less prone to large scale substrate rearrangement? I will have an empty 50 that I'm looking to reoccupy. Geo. altifrons are one that I really am thinking seriously of getting. So different, beautiful and peaceful(I guess!). I think they would make a cool species tank. If a 50 is a bit small, I can upgrade later. Thoughts and availability?

YSS

Members
Among Geos, is there a species that is less prone to large scale substrate rearrangement? I will have an empty 50 that I'm looking to reoccupy. Geo. altifrons are one that I really am thinking seriously of getting. So different, beautiful and peaceful(I guess!). I think they would make a cool species tank. If a 50 is a bit small, I can upgrade later. Thoughts and availability?

My altifrons do not rearrange substrate. However, they get relatively big (~10") and very active. You will need at least a 4' by 1.5' foot print tank.

Beeman

Members
My altifrons do not rearrange substrate. However, they get relatively big (~10") and very active. You will need at least a 4' by 1.5' foot print tank.

Well thats a sizable fish now isn't it ?!?! Even a 48" tank would be a bit small. As Geos. go, is there a smaller version? The 50g would be temporary, but I don't have room to go to a 72" tank.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - altifrons get too big for a 4' tank, in my experience.

Red humps would be a good choice, but make sure to get several females per male.

I'd also consider Gymnogeophagus. 55g is plenty of room for both substrate spawning and mouthbrooding species. You just need to not use a heater...

Matt

Beeman

Members
Yes - altifrons get too big for a 4' tank, in my experience.

Red humps would be a good choice, but make sure to get several females per male.

I'd also consider Gymnogeophagus. 55g is plenty of room for both substrate spawning and mouthbrooding species. You just need to not use a heater...

Matt

No heater? Say what? This tank is in my 'primitive' fish room. The former milking parlor is kept at 60 degrees. What temps are we speaking of? I apparently need to do more research.

verbal

CCA Members
No heater? Say what? This tank is in my 'primitive' fish room. The former milking parlor is kept at 60 degrees. What temps are we speaking of? I apparently need to do more research.

60 will be no problem for most Gymnogeos. You may want to heat them up to the 70s for a breeding season.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Gymnogeos are from Uruguay, which is kind of like Florida in temperature. I keep them on the lowest rack and floor of my fishroom and do cold water changes in the winter. Keeps the temp in the low 60s. A little lower would be even better...

I did a presentation for them on them, I think, a couple of years ago.

Matt

Beeman

Members
Ok, this leads to another consideration. If these are cool-water fish, what becomes in the hot dam- summer? My same low heated fish-room has no ac also. Water temps in the beasty days of July August can and will reach the low 80s. Wasn't a problem for the one tank I had running 'out there', my mbuna. But what of the geos? Will this be a problem?