• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Space heater ?????

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Ok so I started cleaning and changing things around to set up the fish room.
Questions are.
Posted a pic of the room.

- space heaters safe or not? What kinds are better to heat the room? it's 6 feet wide 7 feet tall and 20 feet long

- if the door opens does that drop the temps of the tanks too fast, I know it doesn't instantly loose heat but is the temperature flux enough to affect the fish?

- where to locate it in the room?

-finally
6 20 longs and 3 10 g on the rack
And a Double 55. Is the wattage less using a space heater? I did some research and it seems like it would be a little less but not significant enough to switch to a space heater.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
Ok so I started cleaning and changing things around to set up the fish room.
Questions are.
Posted a pic of the room.

- space heaters safe or not? What kinds are better to heat the room? it's 6 feet wide 7 feet tall and 20 feet long

- if the door opens does that drop the temps of the tanks too fast, I know it doesn't instantly loose heat but is the temperature flux enough to affect the fish?

- where to locate it in the room?

-finally
6 20 longs and 3 10 g on the rack
And a Double 55. Is the wattage less using a space heater? I did some research and it seems like it would be a little less but not significant enough to switch to a space heater.

Thanks,

I've had similar questions. One thing I've thought of is that water is more resistant to temperature change than air, so opening and closing the door probably won't be enough to drastically change tank temps, especially since when they're shelved on racks they insulate each other a bit.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I've had similar questions. One thing I've thought of is that water is more resistant to temperature change than air, so opening and closing the door probably won't be enough to drastically change tank temps, especially since when they're shelved on racks they insulate each other a bit.

Was thinking that...and water temps in the lakes change through our the day and by water depth not by much but it does. Or am I crazy?

Also what the math is to figure out ambient/room temperature vs temp of heater and tank?
Or are there too many variables like the insulation etc
Also forgot to post pic
Ignore the mess, like I said in the process of organizing lol I've got to fit everything in the room and still have it be my office (place to do homework)so the wife doesn't drown me in the 125 i just got.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1400768342.085102.jpg

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I would opt for a wall mounted convection heater (no fan so no noise) and wall mounted means you cannot trip over it and depending on where you mount it, you might not be able to spill water on it. Even the back of the door could work and these things are thin, like less than two inches or so and some are paintable so they blend into the wall.

I used one in a fish room in the back of a garage and it was the only heat except for the lights on the fish tanks. Worked great, not expensive to run.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Hey, you stole my line!!!

I don't know Jack Schitt about the math but someone else here probably does :D.

You could ask Doug, Josh, Rachel, Damian, or others who keep lots of fish without lots of heaters.

Lol yep I did. Sorry I know better than to not provide my references or cite. I am a college student after all, and I broke the honor code...sorry how can I ever make it up to you?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I would opt for a wall mounted convection heater (no fan so no noise) and wall mounted means you cannot trip over it and depending on where you mount it, you might not be able to spill water on it. Even the back of the door could work and these things are thin, like less than two inches or so and some are paintable so they blend into the wall.

I used one in a fish room in the back of a garage and it was the only heat except for the lights on the fish tanks. Worked great, not expensive to run.

What that sounds cool what's the brand name...thank you