• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

South florida fishing

spazmattik

Members
very nice. that first rd is a beautiful. makes me want to go fishing in florida :) I hear you can catch some nice salvini down there too

dogofwar

CCA Members
Plecos, Hemichromis, Tilapia, Oscars, Hericthys, salvini....just about anything that's been farmed in Florida has made its way to their waterways...

Matt

I didn't know any of these fish lived in FL! What else lives there that is "Tropical" that we keep?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Keep in mind these are feral populations of aquarium fish that have escaped/been released into the waterways. Interesting to see them in a natural habitat, but in some places, these invasive species have had a huge impact on the native population of wildlife. I know I have seen a video of a river in Mexico that has been completely overrun by plecos that are not native to the area. There are no predators for the plecos so their population continues to grow. They have effectively eliminated all other native species (including one of the herichthys that I can't recall).

Thai

Members
There are huge plecos down here, big Nile tilapias as well, yesterday had a huge 40" at lease snook roll on a jerk bait I was using for peacock bass in a freshwater canal!

AquaStudent

Members
That is incredible. Most of the fishing my friends have talked about down in Florida was SW. But it looks like there's a ton of excellent FW game too!

Watch out for gators. :p

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Awesome pictures! You cook anything up?

I'll betcha peacock bass tastes good....

davidhusker

Members
This is awesome, I'd bring some back with me if I were you. Although you'd almost have to catch smaller ones to make it feasible!

verbal

CCA Members
I lived in SW FL for 13 years, fished the local canals, lakes, rivers and never saw these. Must be the CCA charm.

It looks like there are more exotics in SE FL. Part of it may be that it is the warmest area of the state, so the best temps for the tropical fish.

Sonny Disposition

You ought to get a dip net and scoop through the shore weeds. Lots of nice stuff to bring home for your aquariums.

I really need to get back down there.

Maybe next time I'll try microfishing.

Fort Lauderdale has some of the prettiest (yeah, I know they're mean) Nanodopsis salvini anywhere.

Thai

Members
We got back yesterday and decided not tonbring anything back, was a little difficult with a pregnant gf, I plan on going back next year, maybe a little earlier in the year, maybe a group trip? All in all in was able to catch at least 12 large Rds, a ton of Mayans, a jaguar, and a lot of spotted tilapia and some peacock bass. Again would have like to spent more time fishing and netting but with my gf being pregnant it was tough.

image.jpg

Sonny Disposition

It would be a blast to organize some sort of group trip down there. I gave the sunfish talk to the Gold Coast Aquarium Society, so perhaps we could connect with them and make it to one of their meetings. (They meet on Wednesdays, I think.) Maybe Chuck Davis and some of the others could show us their collecting grounds.

I've been to Florida quite a few times over the year, and know the area fairly well. Maybe we could get Don Enrique Schmalbach to show us around his fish farm, too.

Not to mention stopping at Calle Ocho for something to eat. Versailles is one of my all time favorite restaurants. La Carreta is pretty good, too.

ddavila06

Members
It would be a blast to organize some sort of group trip down there. I gave the sunfish talk to the Gold Coast Aquarium Society, so perhaps we could connect with them and make it to one of their meetings. (They meet on Wednesdays, I think.) Maybe Chuck Davis and some of the others could show us their collecting grounds.

I've been to Florida quite a few times over the year, and know the area fairly well. Maybe we could get Don Enrique Schmalbach to show us around his fish farm, too.

Not to mention stopping at Calle Ocho for something to eat. Versailles is one of my all time favorite restaurants. La Carreta is pretty good, too.

did someone just volunteered to coordinate a florida fishing/collecting trip? :eek:

and his sentences always end in "good places to eat" lol:blush::blush:

Hawkman2000

Members
I have family in palm palm beach. I am going to have to go fishing next time I go down. Ill see if I can get some of those salvini.

bigmike2249

Hey everyone. This is my first post and just found this forum and thread. I also just got extremely excited because i live night next to the c-100 canals in Miami and i was walking them today and saw probably 100 cichlids and a few peacocks just didnt have my rod with me. how do you catch the cichlids? im ready to go out and see what i can find!