• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sources for Bettas besides aquabid and LFS

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I am looking for some of the Betta types mentioned yesterday. Any clues where to find them in the States? The IBC forum appears to be very slow.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
I think Josh(Batfish Aquatics) has had some luck in getting wild bettas.

There was a guy in Virginia(Bob Dozier), who gave a presentation at PVAS a couple years ago. Not sure how active he is in the hobby currently.

JLW

CCA Members
I have most of the species Mark talked about in and out of stock fairly regularly ... unfortunately, the usual exporter is temporarily shut down for a vacation or something, so it will be a few weeks before they resume operations. Which species are you looking for?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think that some folks in PVAS (Larry T?) have also bred wild-type bettas.

If people shell out big bucks to import and breed fish, it's understandable that they don't want to basically give them away!

Matt

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I totally understand that Matt. I know the reasons behind the pricing I just don't want to pay it sometimes. Plus I always equate e cost with size. I find it difficult to pay that much for a fish that small.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

msjinkzd

invert junkie
i wil probably be getting some fo the species in soon, as well- specifically the coccina and maybe some simplex or the like (have had good luck breeding them in teh past).

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
i wil probably be getting some fo the species in soon, as well- specifically the coccina and maybe some simplex or the like (have had good luck breeding them in teh past).

Awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JLW

CCA Members
Betta c. is a relatively inexpensive fish.

Right now, I can get Betta rutilans, which would run about $6 a fish, and Betta macrostoma, which would run $250 a pair. How many of the macrostoma pairs can I put you down for? :-D I know Matt wants, what, four pairs?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Betta c. is a relatively inexpensive fish.

Right now, I can get Betta rutilans, which would run about $6 a fish, and Betta macrostoma, which would run $250 a pair. How many of the macrostoma pairs can I put you down for? :-D I know Matt wants, what, four pairs?

lmao.

Sam successfully bred the Beta potati. He still has his pair and I think Christine has some as well.

I believe Sam gave away about 8 or so subadults on a thread a couple weeks back.

These all came from Larry T at PVAS.

I'd be interested in an easy variety as well.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
You say potati I say patoti

Actually I still have 4 adult patoti I'm looking to move/trade - no idea about their gender, difficult to sex these. They're as large as the unimaculata I picked up at he auction and have more color at least in part because they're lighter. They look and I imagine act like dragons - fearless and ravenous.

chriscoli

Administrator
I enjoy my Betta patoti's very much as well. They've spawned a few times for me but I haven't successfully reaised any fry yet (they're in a community tank...so no survival is not too shocking).

Becca

Members
Actually I still have 4 adult patoti I'm looking to move/trade - no idea about their gender, difficult to sex these. They're as large as the unimaculata I picked up at he auction and have more color at least in part because they're lighter. They look and I imagine act like dragons - fearless and ravenous.

Sam, I'd be interested in some of these. I don't know Jack Schitt about them, but I was thinking of setting up an outdoor aquatic garden over the summer. Don't worry, I'd make sure to move them to a warmer climate come fall (I am NOT my dad!!!).

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Sure

Sam, I'd be interested in some of these.

They're yours. Have decided I need to drop the pH more in a number of tanks so am particularly receptive to offers of driftwood. You may give me some in trade or toil under a cloud of indebtedness.
:D

Becca

Members
They're yours. Have decided I need to drop the pH more in a number of tanks so am particularly receptive to offers of driftwood. You may give me some in trade or toil under a cloud of indebtedness.
:D

I may have to stay indebted...

I think I have an old half-empty box of peat moss lying around - ever tried bagging that up and adding to your filter? I might also have some old-school pink-pebbles pH buffer... not sure.

As far as driftwood goes, does age matter? I think what I have has been submerged for so long it might not impact pH. I don't have much that I can part with in the 150 because it keeps the uglies away from the fatfish catfish. I have a few small pieces that could go - ALGAE, java fern, and ALGAE COVERED anubias included - LOL!!!!

zackcrack00

Members
Ricks Fish and pet supply has some really cool plakats, doubletails, halfmoons, nd a really nice large half moon plakat male last I was there.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I may have to stay indebted...

I think I have an old half-empty box of peat moss lying around - ever tried bagging that up and adding to your filter? I might also have some old-school pink-pebbles pH buffer... not sure.

As far as driftwood goes, does age matter? I think what I have has been submerged for so long it might not impact pH. I don't have much that I can part with in the 150 because it keeps the uglies away from the fatfish catfish. I have a few small pieces that could go - ALGAE, java fern, and ALGAE COVERED anubias included - LOL!!!!

It's all good (except for anything pink) so don't plunder your beloved holdings on my account. Raised these from fry so it's not like I have much of anything invested beyond aggravation, hope, despair, time, worry, love, stress, devotion and commitment (the dreaded "C" word). :D