• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

So... thinkin' about getting a dog...

Ophelia77

Members
Ok Rich, Im adding my 2 cents as well, as a friend AND a former AKC breeder/ member. Keep your dogs like you keep your fish. Purebred. DO look into adoption first, then breeders. I can't believe half the stuff Im reading on this thread of advice without facts. Anyway, here's a link to what the AKC recommends as LOW-DANDER breeds... There is no AKC recognized breed that doesn't have dander, and having to shave the dog, how much the dog shedds, and lack of hair do not a "hypo-allergenic" dog make. Good luck :)

http://www.akc.org/about/faq_allergies.cfm

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rich_one

Members
Ok Rich, Im adding my 2 cents as well, as a friend AND a former AKC breeder/ member. Keep your dogs like you keep your fish. Purebred. DO look into adoption first, then breeders. I can't believe half the stuff Im reading on this thread of advice without facts. Anyway, here's a link to what the AKC recommends as LOW-DANDER breeds... There is no AKC recognized breed that doesn't have dander, and having to shave the dog, how much the dog shedds, and lack of hair do not a "hypo-allergenic" dog make. Good luck :)

http://www.akc.org/about/faq_allergies.cfm

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks, Tonya... that's a very helpful list! I appreciate the info!

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Progress! All of my references checked out, and the dog we have targeted all along is being prepped for his trip north from a high kill shelter in South Carolina. The rescue will allow us to foster the dog for 2 weeks first, to be sure of his compatibility with my wife from an allergy stanpoint. Assuming that goes well... and since he is a maltese, that is very likely... we will then officially adopt him two weeks from his arrival. We should expect to pick him up next Saturday, May 19!

In an interesting side note, his name is Harrison... as it is obvious what my favorite NFL team is, this almost seems like fate at work! LOL...

-Rich