• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Small planter cup set up

londonloco

Members
Still wanting to see some pics of that setup when you get a chance, Loni.

Below is an old pic of a ripariumsupply.com small planter cup with a philodendron growing out of my 26g Punk tank:

DSC_0037.jpg

Below pic was taken 5/11/11.

DSC_0036.jpg

Couple weeks ago I found this shelf I realllly liked at Home Goods, so I did this (pic taken today), notice how much the philodendron has grown. I really want to cut it as I think a fuller plant would look better, but to placate my husband who wants to keep it long, I'm going to loop it back over once it grows more:

26glong.jpg

I have two new sprouts growing out of the planter, hoping they continue to grow in the winter months and can loop around the shelf:

26gshelf.jpg

Close up:

26gair.jpg

All the plants on the shelving unit are air plants. The one in the cup is some sort of bromeliad plant I picked up at Merryfield. The other hairy looking ones looped around the back of the unit are air plants my girlfriend picked off her tree (she lives in Florida) for me. Not sure they are going to make it.

I have a similar set up on my 75 gallons, I'll try to get some pics today.

londonloco

Members
My office doubles as my fishroom, recently I set up another 75g NPT, and decided to add air plants also:

Both 75g:
two75g2.jpg

Left side 75g is being replanted, waiting for plants to grow in. You can see the philodendron has been growing for a year or so, but I get no ambient light, grows much slower, leaves are not as big, I added a CFL clip on light, hoping it helps:

75gleftfts.jpg

75glefttop.jpg

close up of air plants, they are a new edition:
75gleftcloseuptop-1.jpg

Right side NPT, set up end of Sept, def an experiment on my part:

75grightfts.jpg

75grighttop.jpg

Close up of air plants:
75grightcloseuptop.jpg

I plan on changing the black chain to wire someday, just have to find the wire and the time to do it.

ddavila06

Members
sweet! i like those air plants! i used to collect them on the desert with my grandmother in Argentina! where did you buy them? brings memories back! nice tanks, nice room!!!! =)

londonloco

Members
The big lighter green ones my girlfriend picked off a tree in her back yard, she lives in Florida. The others I either get online (there are 100's of sites), a few I bought at Merrifield here in Brisow, but they are $$$$. However, every time I go in there, I always look, sometimes they have a "baby" they price cheap.

That room also holds a 20g long rack with three tanks and a 125g tank. Makes my time at work nice....

Thanks for the compliment Damien! :)

mscichlid

Founder
Wow Loni! You've got it good! I like your setup. Your office is nice. One day I'll reduce the number of tanks I have and just have 3 or 4...or 5.:)

I've got a few cuttings of a philodendren that are sitting in the tanks. I need to save the big one off the front porch and put it in the fishroom.

londonloco

Members
Wow Loni! You've got it good! I like your setup. Your office is nice. One day I'll reduce the number of tanks I have and just have 3 or 4...or 5.:)

I've got a few cuttings of a philodendren that are sitting in the tanks. I need to save the big one off the front porch and put it in the fishroom.

Awww thanks! I've never had many tanks, couple years ago I was up to 16, now down to 7 tanks, a jar and one emersed set up. I'm going to break down the 5 gallon and set up a 25g rimless cube (18x18x18) IF Santa is puts it under the tree. I've always wanted a rimless tank :)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Awesome!

That philodemdrum coming out of the bowfront in the front of the house is going nuts! I got some pothos the other day at HD, but they're still sitting in their pots in the front window... stems are too short to do anything with for now without rip planters. Do you just hang the roots down into the tanks on some of your plantings or are they all in the planters?

Love the office with the dual 75s and plants over top of them. You certainly have a green thumb.

Funny, at my house, we can maintain 30 tanks and raise hundreds of fry at a time, but give me something green that lives in a pot and I kill it. Go figure.

Thanks for posting the shots. :happy0180:

londonloco

Members
I have grown Pothos both ways in a tank, but in the planter cups w/black Flourite works best for me. It's harder to keep them upright when they are just "hanging out" when the roots start to grow. Also, most tanks I don't dose NPK, so the planter cups let me add root tabs, I use RootMedic original. You could DIY the planter cups, but I've never read anyone successfully doing it. Check out Devin's site.....ripariumsupply.com.....makes life easier....

Spine

Members
Great looking Tanks. I just found a six foot long trimming of philodendron that someone dumped on our back steps at work today. I think what I'll do is cut it in half and put one section in a tank and plant the other.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Epiphytes

The 'air plant' is Spanish moss. It likes being misted, and looks much the same for a long time even if it dies. It requires heat and humidity (like most epiphytes), which is why its literally all over Florida and the Gulf Coast.

londonloco

Members
Thanks Sam. I'm treating it like the rest of my "air plants", once a week during wc's, they get soaked in the tank, or tub of water for about 1/2 hour. Shake off excess water and hang em back up. Adds 10 mins to my water changes.