• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Silly breeding question

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Hey guys so anyone try to breed convicts for color? I got a male from a really nice form member. that shows decent amount of green during certain times and I know the females have greenish blue fins and orange when breeding.....anyhow
Is it possible?
How long would it take?
How do you avoid bad traits defects etc?
Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
It would be just like line breeding any other fish: find a trait that you desire and keep crossing offspring with that trait until it breeds relatively true.

Matt

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Yeah I know it will take many generations but will I have to inbreed to a certain point...then breed with another cichlid thats not related? I know there is prob tons of different ways about going about it
I know that the pink or all white comes from a double recessive trait
So I'm looking for things like that.
I guess I would need a lot of space to do it.

dogofwar

CCA Members
As there are now four "convict" species (plus undescribed HRPs), most LFS "cons" are most likely (technically) hybrids anyway...

Of course, re-classification (and lumping them back into one species) would make them no longer hybrids.

In my book, fancy fish are fancy fish, whether technically just line bred (from sports, unusual individuals, across variants/ collection locations) or whether hybridized (i.e. crosses between species).

You'll need plenty of tank space and do plenty of culling to develop something that better than random...

Matt

It's possible but it's
Probably a (hrp)x(con)
I'm looking for all con no hybrids

With Angels, it is customary to cross back with a wild every 5 generations. Also you will quite a few tanks to start a line as mentioned above. With Koi angels in particular, their color changes greatly as they mature and it is not until they are adult that you can truly see how much orange they will have... what looks good as quarters would be almost all white by adulthood.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
As there are now four "convict" species (plus undescribed HRPs), most LFS "cons" are most likely (technically) hybrids anyway...

Of course, re-classification (and lumping them back into one species) would make them no longer hybrids.

In my book, fancy fish are fancy fish, whether technically just line bred (from sports, unusual individuals, across variants/ collection locations) or whether hybridized (i.e. crosses between species).

You'll need plenty of tank space and do plenty of culling to develop something that better than random...

Matt

I know a fancy fish is a fancy fish
But I prefer that than hybrids don't get me wrong they are pretty but I feel like there are too many irresponsible people who make hybrids....(I know this topic can be debated for ever)

A large number of fish in the hobby have been line bred or have had some sort of selective breeding for desirable traits either on purpose or we collected the prettier of the species and housed them etc...

I was just looking at the cons and I thought maybe since they breed like bunnies lol (should prob be the other way around)
it would be easier to do since they don't care where they are, who the're with, they just pump out babies like factories. It would be a good fish to try it with, also they have great color potential if we can go by their spawning attire "suit and tie"

So is there a particular reason why 5 generations? Could it be less?
I've been doing a lot off reading on line breeding might be a huge project and might get luck....

zackcrack00

Members
Yeah I know it will take many generations but will I have to inbreed to a certain point...

When you line breed, that is almost all the type of breeding you do: Inbreeding.
With bettas you take the best to young ones from the same batch, and the best two from their batch, and so on. It normally doesn't hurt the line, but outcrossing after a few gens to an unrelated fish with the same desired traits keeps the line strong.