• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Showing off, my ignorance...

Gaston

Members
Hello there, I need some help with my tank, I bought the set-up as is from someone about 3 months ago, before this I only had a small tank with tetras and guppies. This tank is 55 gal and hosts 2 jewels an albino cichlid of some kind and what seems to be a convict cichlid. Also a 6" plecostomus. The 2 jewels were gorgeous and really, really red before introduced into this tank, after that they lost their color and are just silverish with the jewel marks on sides. The convict bothers all other fish almost all day and the pleco lives all time relaxed, as all plecos do. The convict is about 5", the abino maybe 3,5" jewels 1,5" and 2"... What can I do? I want to have a tank with more fish but don't know if I should get rid of convict or keep him... Also want to set up a current in the tank, any ideas? Right now I have a filter and 2 underwater filters with powerheads... My other problem is how the convict digs out all plants I put in tank and the plants float on the water...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Plenipotentiary-at-large
N'est-ce pas

Donate the convict to CCA at nest week's meeting and get a pair of reverse flow attachments and pre-filters for your power-heads. Your jewel-cichlids will probably color back up right away once they stop being so persecuted/stressed and you can think about getting some firemouths or someone else more suitable as tankmates. The power head attachments will drive the water down underneath the substrate and up through the gravel, and the pre-filter intake sponges will catch most of the particulates so they don't accumulate under the filter plates. All you have to do is periodically squeeze the sponges "clean" in a bucket of old/used water during water changes and you can mostly say goodbye to vacuuming the substrate.

One more thing – you should join up and get your jewelfish friends at the CCA auction/meeting next week where I can give you another appropriately-sized powerhead (for some paltry consideration) to generate the current you desire.

Next?

Last edited:

Gaston

Members
Thanks for all advice Avatar, I do live in the mountains in Colorado so unless the meeting moves up 9600 feet above sea level I won't be able to make it... Hopefully after I shared my secret you will not banned me from the forums as it is hard to find any help where we live, I will look for the filtration options next time down in Denver and I might talk to donate the convict at the pet shop, what really sucks because I really like him, bully or not, he's really a beautiful fish. Thanks again for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rich_one

Members
Donate the convict to CCA at nest week's meeting and get a pair of reverse flow attachments and pre-filters for your power-heads. Your jewel-cichlids will probably color back up right away once they stop being so persecuted/stressed and you can think about getting some firemouths or someone else more suitable as tankmates. The power head attachments will drive the water down underneath the substrate and up through the gravel, and the pre-filter intake sponges will catch most of the particulates so they don't accumulate under the filter plates. All you have to do is periodically squeeze the sponges "clean" in a bucket of old/used water during water changes and you can mostly say goodbye to vacuuming the substrate.

One more thing – you should join up and get your jewelfish friends at the CCA auction/meeting next week where I can give you another appropriately-sized powerhead (for some paltry consideration) to generate the current you desire.

Next?
+1

-Rich

hotwingz

Members
+2 ...ya its no fun getting rid of fish. And i live in fl so i wish i could be closer to the meetings too!! Ha

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App