• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Should I be worried?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
My big male lyonsi was bitten about 2 weeks ago and the bit doesnt seem to be healing. It doesnt seem to be getting any worse eather. He's eating and acting normal. Should I add any medication?
DSC00132.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

neut

Members
For me, I would if it doesn't appear to be healing. For garden variety minor scuffs or injuries my typical routine is clean water, a little salt (not a lot, I'll often do in the neighborhood of a tablespoon per 30-40 gals) and/or a little Melafix. I also dose Melafix pretty lightly for minor scuffs and injuries, maybe 1/4 what the label suggests.

Before Melafix came out I'd use something with aloe, like Stress Coat. Kind of a forgotten option, but still not a bad one ime.

Nice fish!

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Thank you very much! I do water changes every other week and the filtration on this tank is great so I think The water is nice and clean so I'll pick up some aquarium salt later today

I'd use melafix, injuries like these that have a threat for fungal attack don't need serious meds unless something takes advantage of the weakened cells. Melafix is very safe I dose heavy, with open wounds (when I see the risk of infection). Regular melafix is 1%, cichlid melafix is 2% pond melafix is 5%. If I have regular I double dose but usually I just buy the pond stuff and add 20-30ml per 100g every day and a half or two days. The results are usually very impressive if I see any sign of fungus I add pimafix and an antifungal. My tanks always have salt in them, I don't waste money on aquarium salt I buy noniodized table salt and dump it in. I keep old world not sure how safe that is with new world but salt is a great healer.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App