• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ship Shape FF

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Is anybody using this yet? 1 gram per gallon ? how do I measure that with out a scale? I see on google that 4 grams of sugar equals 1 tsp. Not sure how important the exact measure is.

ezrk

Members
I bought a gram scale for measuring medicine. They are surprisingly inexpensive, on the order of $20 shipped.

It is also fascinating to see what sizes and shapes they come in and speculate on the intended audience. My favorite one came disguised as a cell phone...

Jefft

Members
I bought a gram scale for measuring medicine. They are surprisingly inexpensive, on the order of $20 shipped.

It is also fascinating to see what sizes and shapes they come in and speculate on the intended audience. My favorite one came disguised as a cell phone...

I bought the the Prime ... SAFE.. 10mg.. covers 200 gallons on killing chlorine. I had to do the same purchase a scale that handled mm. Cheap and shipped easy. However I was warned the DEA might just give me a call to find out why I was purchasing this scale. lol

verbal

CCA Members
I bought the the Prime ... SAFE.. 10mg.. covers 200 gallons on killing chlorine. I had to do the same purchase a scale that handled mm. Cheap and shipped easy. However I was warned the DEA might just give me a call to find out why I was purchasing this scale. lol

will you tell them it was to weigh a white powder that some people get very excited about?

Jefft

Members
will you tell them it was to weigh a white powder that some people get very excited about?

LAUGHS... I was thinking originally something smart*** like that would be appropriate.. Then I thought this is the DEA do I really want to go there. :D

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Is there a simple (generalized) conversation from grams of powder to Tsp/Tbsp?

I know some powders are heavier than others, but anything fine powder that is water-soluble and meant for aquarium use should be roughly the same, right?

I dose Seachem Safe and they say that 5g = 1 ~tsp.

verbal

CCA Members
Is there a simple (generalized) conversation from grams of powder to Tsp/Tbsp?

I know some powders are heavier than others, but anything fine powder that is water-soluble and meant for aquarium use should be roughly the same, right?

I dose Seachem Safe and they say that 5g = 1 ~tsp.

I think it is pretty tough to make a generalization. Not only is there differing densities, but also some substances will back down more than others.

Looking around the internet I found values of Flour 528 g/L. Salt 1.1 Kg/L. Sugar 849g/L.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Looking around the internet I found values of Flour 528 g/L. Salt 1.1 Kg/L. Sugar 849g/L.

Wow. I wouldn't have guessed that much variation... especially between salt and sugar.

10-4. Ignore my prior post. :sign0002:

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Can someone answer the freakin question? How much of this stuff do I add to 1 gal of water for shipping fish? lol of course im smiling when I'm typing.

Jefft

Members
SAFE is tough. I figured from the instructions on my big jar of it.. it says above 1 teaspoon is enough for 200 gallons of water de-chlorination. Since my largest tank is 75g it puts me in a bit of a tough spot. So I figured if 1 teaspoon is enough for 200g. 1/4 teaspoon is just right for 90g. 1/4tsp , however, is significantly heavier than 10mg. which according to the instructions is the proper does for my tank. Anyway prior to purchasing my digital scale which does measure in milligram. I just went with the 1/4 tsp. method. My fish have had no issues with this measurement of SAFE. I like a few others even now rather than pull out the scale and fight with trying to get 10mg. of this powder in place I just use the 1/4 tsp, as my base measurement adding this to my 75 for water changes. When water changing my 55g I use 3/4 tsp. For a 40g breeder I use a half of a 1/4 tsp. While instructions say dont overdose.. There are allowances for chloramines, ammonia spikes, etc..in which you are told to use more of this powder. I havent had an issue with it yet and my fish are thriving and breeding.

JasonC

Members
I would call the manufacturer to see what their recommended conversion is... or just buy a cheep gram scale.