• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sexing Labidochromis caeruleus

Montbard

Members
Sorry if this has been talked about before, did a search on the forum and didn't see anything pop out.

Is there a reliable way to sex Labidochromis caeruleus?

Thanks,
Andrew

WendyFish

Members
Unfortunately, unless they're holding, there's basically no way but to flip 'em over and vent 'em. (article on the process at http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/gender.php if you're not familiar) If you have not done it, it's not at all bad to do -- the hardest thing is no worse than catching the fish out of the tank if you have lots of rocks and decor.

Labs are particularly difficult to tell -- there are lots of semi-myths about coloration and behavior, none of which have been remotely reliable in my tank.

FWIW, even though labs are relatively mellow mbuna, one of the best things I've ever done for them was to get the gender ratio to true harem proportions. They wouldn't have killed each other (most likely) but their colors and overall community got soooooo much better when I sold off the extra males. So good luck sorting out your fish!

vinman

Members
Even when you flip them over it is not that easy. I find out on animals that are less than 3 inch the males will have a slightly larger hole next to anil fin than most male mbuna at that size . Now the females have a very large hole ( Huge ) next to the anil fin the are the easy ones to tell. It is the males that are tricky