• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Severum eggs

D-money

Members
Alright, my Redheaded Sevs have been laying eggs monthly for the past 4 months. Each time they do it, I'm going out of town on business and the eggs get eaten by the father. This time I'm home and would like to raise the fry. My question is this, If I remove the male temporarily, will that break the pair bond between them or should I try and remove the eggs altogether. Not sure where i would put them.

Any thoughts

David

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would leave them both in the tank. Sometimes it takes a few tries for new parents yo figure it out. Are there any other fish in the tank?

TACT

Members
Hi David, I have 2 x 5' Red-shoulder Severums. They are free, if you want them. Call 410 747 1105 and I'll return your call.....TACT.

neut

Members
Good points already. Severum pairs can sometimes be maddening until they figure it out and get it right. Not unusual for it to take a number of tries. It can try your patience, but target fish for the parents to defend against can be a good idea, as long as they're not accomplished egg stealers.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
When I had mine, I removed the eggs from the tank. I did this 2 times but stopped because I was over run with fry.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
FROM WHAT I HAVE OBSERVED WITH SEVERUMS SOMETIMES IT TAKES A FEW SPAWNINGS BEFORE THEY GET IT RIGHT. HOWEVER ONCE THEY GET IT RIGHT THEY ARE GOOD PARENTS.