• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

SEMI CENTRAL FILTRATION

Peacockbass

Hello i have been breeding angelfish for a while now and am looking to switch gears a little bit. I would like to go with some new world cichlids. But have a few questions. I currrently am running a rack of 6 40 breeders 3 high side by side for growing the angels. But they only have sponge filters. I would love some ideas on setting up a central filter for this rack of tanks. Not really sure which way to go cause i never did this before. I am pretty handy so setting it up wont be a big deal. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Peacockbass

So i have been looking for filtration options and like the idea of a whole tank sponge filter. Has anyone used these? anyone know of a cheap place to pick up some foam sheets to use for the filter. I see you can get it from angels plus but it is some expense.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
There were a few big sheets that were in the auctions before the summer break. I think Caleb and Chris both picked up a sheet if I remember. I also think that Pat has a few tanks set up with the foam filters.

chris_todd

Members
Yeah, I've now setup three tanks with Poret foam working as a sponge filter, and I'm really pleased. I have a 50 breeder where I set it up as a tank divider, with two PVC uplift tubes, and it works great. And the third Poret setup is a 20 long setup as a "dump filter" per Matt Quinn, where the 20 long sits on top of a 110g, and I have a powerhead in the 110g that pumps the water up into the 20 long, where it then flows through two Poret dividers before emptying back into the 110g via an overflow in the 20.

See Matt's thread on the dump filter here:
http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7629

I'll try to get some pictures of my 20 long/110g setup later this weekend.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd recommend an auto water change system before a centralized filtration system

There's a step by step in one of the past biotopes that I put together to show how to do it with PVC overflows... Really easy

I'm a fan of 1 box and 1 sponge per tank. Dump filters too ;)

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'd recommend an auto water change system before a centralized filtration system

There's a step by step in one of the past biotopes that I put together to show how to do it with PVC overflows... Really easy

I'm a fan of 1 box and 1 sponge per tank. Dump filters too ;)

Matt

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wouldn't ever do a central system either. Too easy for disease to get out of hand. I use central air with sponges/boxes and wish I would have set up auto-waterchanging when I set up the room.

Poret foam is super nice, but really expensive for a full room (even at the cheapest places - which the Angelfish place is I think when you consider waste from large sheets).

dogofwar

CCA Members
A central drain system is also nice. I have one that allows me to siphon 5 tanks at a time (because I have 5 siphons)...

Matt

Peacockbass

any thoughts on the 2 inch think pond filter media avaliable in sheets. Do you think that would work in place of the foam?

Hello i have been breeding angelfish for a while now and am looking to switch gears a little bit. I would like to go with some new world cichlids. But have a few questions. I currrently am running a rack of 6 40 breeders 3 high side by side for growing the angels. But they only have sponge filters. I would love some ideas on setting up a central filter for this rack of tanks. Not really sure which way to go cause i never did this before. I am pretty handy so setting it up wont be a big deal. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Brian,

I have a central sump system. Come check it out. I LOVE it. Filters, heaters, pumps all in the sump. I do a 20% water change in 9 minutes, every day, without touching water. You are welcome anytime.