• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Science Fair Project

Greengirl

Members
My coworker's daughter wants to do a science fair project about a balanced aquarium. Knowing my knowledge in the hobby, her mother came straight to me. I proceeded to explain all the requirements including proper water chemistry, preparing the water for the types of fish it will house, airation, filters, substrate, decour, and the fish. Today she handed me the project guidelines for the science fair. It says something about having a hypothesis and experimental procedures to test the hypothesis. Now I am having trouble figuring out how to turn a balanced aquarium into an actual science project. I don't want to hurt any fish in the process.

So I put it to you! You who are experts as well as parents with children and science fairs...how would you turn a balanced aquarium into a science fair presentation with a hypothesis and experiementation without injuring the fish. The daughter wants to put a fish tank on display for her project, with me providing my fish. I look forward to your ideas, and thank you very much.

Hannibal

Members
Instead of doing the project on a balanced aquarium, she could switch it to something like growing plants in an aquarium. That way you can experiment with temperature changes, lighting, dosing or not, substrates, ect...

She would still get to do her project on an aquarium, the fish wouldn't get hurt, and you might be able to get someone new into the hobby.

Greengirl

Members
Ha ha, not a bad idea.

I also had another idea. Do any of you know if it takes different amounts of time to nitrify well water vs. tap water? Does this question ever pop up. I want to know if it takes different amounts of time to cycle different types of water.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'll second Chris's idea. My daughter did something like this in 6th grade or so. She tested the growth of java moss in water with various pH levels. She grew it in bowls and used vinegar, I think, to reduce pH, and test strips to test the pH.

As a parent, you want to keep the project relatively simple and uncomplicated, unless your kid has an amazing idea.

zackcrack00

Members
Being 13 and a fish lover, I agree with the plant idea. Or she could breed guppies and raise fry, showing how they feed off of their yolk sac, and how the mother usually eats the weak and dedformed fry.

Forester

Members
Last year in 6th grade for a science project i tested the best way to ship fish. No fish were injured in the experiment. I used the freezer a thermometer heat packs boxes styrofoam. My teacher said that it was a high school or college level assignment. I think the plant idea would work. Or she could test which fish grow better with which food. There are many different ways you can incorporate aquariums into science projects and most of them, if done right, should get you an A.

Lucas

Greengirl

Members
These are some good ideas, but this project is due May 22nd. She is a little late for some of those long-term growing projects.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Right. I forgot to mention that earlier. Often, there isn't time to do anything that takes more than a few days.

She could test the effects of oak leaves on pH, but she'd have to find some oak leaves quickly, which might be hard.

zackcrack00

Members
Step 1: Go to petsmart. Step 2: Find the most gravid, fattest female guppy in the joint. Step 3: BUY IT! Step 4: Wait two weeks.....

verbal

CCA Members
Given the time frame, I think something involving water chemistry will be more successful than something that requires growth - although growing algae might be a possibility.

I think something involving the nitrogen cycle(would use a different variable than water type - temperature, seeded media vs tank water vs new water, plants/non-plants, filter type etc.) or pH would be good ideas. For cycling adding ammonia may be a better route to control and avoid stress on fish.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Science is about testing a hypothesis

Good science projects subject hypotheses/theories, no matter how pedestrian, to testing and observation. A fun science fair demo project is the one that shows how a planted aquarium can produce enough oxygen to allow a small rodent to live in his cage submerged entirely within the tank with the only gas exchange taking place between his atmosphere occurring with the water within the tank. Am sure you can find a how-to description online, but that's not really testing a theory unless one manipulates conditions (e.g., amount of food fed or the lighting cycle or some other variable to influence O2/CO2 levels) and is able to measure or observe the effects.

The gravid female idea has promise but would require splitting the fry into two groups and subjecting them to differing conditions to test for growth rates or survival or some such as a single birth in isolation in and of itself isn't really science (apologies to all you blessed mothers and fathers). Three weeks isn't much time, but one could divide a single tank equally and subject two groups of fry (or plants/invertebrates) to exactly the same conditions save for one variable. For example, I have a virtually unlimited quantity of very hardy 3/4-1" Nicaraguan fry that would be more than willing to participate in a trial to ascertain whether a vegetarian vs. strictly carnivorous diet induces faster growth. Fed abundantly (as in all they can eat), three weeks is enough time to gather some data on observable differences/increases in growth/mass and one could very elegantly determine starting and ending size by measuring volume displacement of the respective groups of fry in a skinny graduated cylinder (or one could just measure their collective weight on a digital scale within an equal quantity of water).

Anyway, a real science project needs a control group or some means of direct comparison. That and precise regular data collection to support the conclusion is what the judges will look for and recognize as "science". One tank, separate halves, equal but with a single difference to test a hypothesis. It's either that or one tank subjected to varying circumstances with an observable index/metric for some sort of measurement to test the hypothesis and differences in response to changes in input (light, heat, chemicals, etc.). Can be almost anything, but that's the basic formula and the Nics are again pleased to volunteer if they can be of use.

I don't have a graduated cylinder or a digital scale but I could loan out a tank divider for a 10/20 gallon tank and am happy to provide input to whatever project is chosen.

Best of luck, though it rarely has much to do with it - antibiotic molds and the law of unintended consequences notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Greengirl

Members
these are all great ideas. I am going to pass these along to the mom and see what she wants to get herself into.

Greengirl

Members
1st Place

I am pleased to announce that my coworker's daughter won first place at her science fair with our help. She presented a 5 gallon ballanced aquarium with three electric green tetra, one of Avatar's adorable albino plecos, and some living plants. She displayed the water parameters and discussed the care of the water, fish and plants on her board. I was really proud and impressed at how much she absorbed. Thanks for your advice everyone.