• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

School me on Golden Pearls

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
What size would you guys suggest for Apisto fry, Lamprologus fry, and Green Terror fry. Would decapsulated Brine shrimp be a better food? I lost all my GT fry because they wouldn't take Hikari fry formula.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I DONT PARTICULARY BY FRY FOOD BUT RATHER USE HOMEMADE FOOD OR JUST GRIND UP PELLETS. MOSTLY I SEE THE PARENTS CHEW UP PELLETS AND SPIT IT OUT OVER THE FRY. LIKE THE ABOVE POST SAYS BBS WOULD BE GOOD AND EASY.

Cartel

Members
I DONT PARTICULARY BY FRY FOOD BUT RATHER USE HOMEMADE FOOD OR JUST GRIND UP PELLETS. MOSTLY I SEE THE PARENTS CHEW UP PELLETS AND SPIT IT OUT OVER THE FRY. LIKE THE ABOVE POST SAYS BBS WOULD BE GOOD AND EASY.

This has worked for me so far. I'm not around enough to grow my own food. I take some flakes grind them up into a powder and most of my fry do ok with it. I also watch the parents take bigger food chew it up and spit it out over the fry. But like I said I'm not around enough or I would try growing some BBS. I'm also not too overly concerned with breeding.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
What in tarnation is BBS? The Hikari works okay for the apache fry. I place some dry powder in dosing syringe and add water. I then inject it into teh water column at their level. The GT fry woudn't touch it. I know live food works better and read that golden pearls emulate live food in the water column.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I use 200-400 micron golden pearls for baby peacocks and mbuna and they tear it up. Growout paracyps love it too. I talked to the Ken's fish rep at Aquafest and he said its on par with decapped brine shrimp eggs as far as nutrition. A little bit goes a long way. I have a 4oz container of golden pearls I've been using for a while now. Is there a shelf life if its kept dry?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey Prince,

I use Ken's 200-300 micron for my smallest peacock fry - Maylandi are super tiny when first born (maybe the size of a parenthesis on the keyboard); about half the size of other peacocks I breed. They later graduate over to 500-800 micron.

Not sure how big GT, apisto or Lamp fry are, but I would assume the lamps and apistos are smaller or the same size as the dwarf peacocks. I would go with a smaller one for them.... maybe the 50-100. If you're thinking of ordering from Ken, give him a call and he'll suggest a size. Super cool guy.

I've had very good luck with my fry accepting golden pearls. If you want, I can bring you a little baggie sample of each to the meeting to see the sizing and if your guys will take it.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Hey Prince,

I use Ken's 200-300 micron for my smallest peacock fry - Maylandi are super tiny when first born (maybe the size of a parenthesis on the keyboard); about half the size of other peacocks I breed. They later graduate over to 500-800 micron.

Not sure how big GT, apisto or Lamp fry are, but I would assume the lamps and apistos are smaller or the same size as the dwarf peacocks. I would go with a smaller one for them.... maybe the 50-100. If you're thinking of ordering from Ken, give him a call and he'll suggest a size. Super cool guy.

I've had very good luck with my fry accepting golden pearls. If you want, I can bring you a little baggie sample of each to the meeting to see the sizing and if your guys will take it.

I would love samples! Thanks Tony.

D-money

Members
I generally don't have time to deal with BBS either. My GT fry, hatched Jan 4 have done well with grounded up flake food.(i simply crush it between my fingers and insert them into the water column) Although, I hear Golden Pearls are very good and easy to use. Maybe we can swap some GT fry.

dogofwar

CCA Members
You can buy decapsulated baby brine from Kensfish...as well as golden pearls.

I've had great luck with both in feeding small new world babies... I think I've used the next to smallest size for fry.

The biggest issue with feeding small fry (in my experience) is not the size of the food but concentrating enough food to them.

One technique that's useful is to put the Golden Pearls (or decapsulated BBS) in some water and use a piece of airline tubing to squirt it down to the fry.

Another is to isolate some of the fry in a net breeder or catch cup and feed them in that. I had a couple of 2'x2'x1' bare bottom tanks with several net breeders and/or catch cups with fry (and no fish in the tank proper). It's really easy to clean the tanks (without sucking up fry) and get enough food to the babies if they're in a small space vs. spread over a big tank. Use of Polyfilter works wonders in those kinds of tanks as well.

Matt

bschuhart

Members
My new fry are usally in a net breeder and the BB goes through the net. I found a way to concentrate the BB by turning the light out in the main tank and putting a light (flashlight)over the net breeder. The light attracts and concentrates the BB.

ddavila06

Members
i used golden pearls with my nannacara fry and they ate it! even my other fish ate it..i have the 50-100 micron size..i also have decapsulated brine and im feeding them that now. i also have frozen cyclops and im feeding them that as well lol, spoiled fish!