• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Save Hines Ward

Wblaze

Members
Rumers say the Steelers will cut Hines Ward -- that would be blastfemy. The guy NEEDS to retire a Steeler. Everyone name you fish after "Psycho Ward" and send a picture to the Steelers :)

Well -- maybe not, but I really do not want to see one of my favorite Steelers go.

mrkillie

Members
Rumers say the Steelers will cut Hines Ward -- that would be blastfemy. The guy NEEDS to retire a Steeler. Everyone name you fish after "Psycho Ward" and send a picture to the Steelers :)

Well -- maybe not, but I really do not want to see one of my favorite Steelers go.

I'm as big a Steeler fan as anyone-I can wear the black and gold all month if I had to without ever wearing a dirty shirt or doing laundry, my "man-cave" is painted Steeler gold with a Fathead Steeler logo on the wall, along with some pics of the greats (including Ward), I have an authentic Jack Lambert jersey, and I have a helmet signed by the front 4 of the Steel Curtain. However, if Ward had any sense, he would retire now instead of trying to hold on and tarnish his career. He already went from #1 on the depth chart to #5 (Wallace-Brown-Sanders-Cotchery) in less than 2 years, and #3 was hurt most of the season. He dropped several key passes last season as well. And they practically had to force him the ball for his 1000th catch.

Hines Ward is one of my favorite players of all time, he revolutionized the position of WR with his incredible blocking skills, and he should be a first ballot hall of famer (but he won't be). But, it's time for him to hang up the cleats.

Wblaze

Members
Joel -- We have a lot in common except our opinion of Hines. I think we can be a really strong #4 possesion guy for us and has 1 season left. If he will take the veteran minimum, he is the right influence to have around for Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Emmanual Sanders. If he wants more money, however, I would like to see them give it to Jericho Cotchery

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Let him stick around another year so he can rack up a few more concussions, then realize why he should have retired...

I'm not a Ravens fan, but Smiley has definitely lost a few steps.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Alright here is an intelligent comment. If Hines Ward was smart he would petition the team for an assistant WR coaching spot. He would be more useful in that roll rather than sucking up a roster spot and the cash required for the veteran minimum. The Steelers don't need the locker room help. If the Steelers were smart the keep him as an assistant WR coach. The Steelers hardly ever show any loyalty to vets past their prime. The only example I can remember from recent memory is Jerome Bettis. Can you think of any Steelers great that ended his career as a Steeler in the last 20 years. Coaches don't count.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Dermontii Dawson

From Mr. Dawson's Wikipedia page:

......Dawson was released by the Steelers following the 2000 season partly due to these injuries and partly due to salary cap reasons, but opted to retire rather than trying to play for another team.

See, use you up and cut you loose is the Steeler way.

mrkillie

Members

......Dawson was released by the Steelers following the 2000 season partly due to these injuries and partly due to salary cap reasons, but opted to retire rather than trying to play for another team.

That is the way of ALL winning franchises. Do you really think Peyton Manning will be a Colt next year?

Kind of the whole point of every sport there is. That is why they have RETIREMENT!!! Were the Steelers supposed to pay Dawson for riding the pine another season? Or spending it in the trainer's room or on IR? That's what teams like the Redskins do. Teams that win, don't. Dawson was smart enough to realize it was time to retire, now let's see if Ward is smart enough, or maybe he'll end up like Franco Harris and retire a Seahawk half way through next season. Maybe he'll be next year's Ochostinko.

rich_one

Members

Joe Greene, Carnell Lake, and Jerry Olsavsky were all on the Steelers staff this past season (Greene remains in scouting, and Lake remains as DB coach... Olsavsky, I believe, went on to a promotion as LB coach for another team over the last few weeks). All of these guys are former Steelers players.

In previous seasons, Darren Perry, Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd, and other somewhat recent players have either served time on the Steelers coaching staff, or spent time at training camps teaching techniques. You can even go back further... Tony Dungy spent time on the Steelers coaching staff. Again, all of those guys are former Steelers players.

I am sure if I bothered to dig deep enough, I could find as many examples of "loyalty" going both ways, as you can find examples of no loyalty. I have no clue, however, why you think it's a "Steelers" thing... it is the business of the NFL. Who is your team? I am sure I can find as many examples of "disloyalty" as you can of "loyalty" with pretty much every team. LOL...

-Rich

Wblaze

Members
Darren Perry is the defense backs coach for some team and is up for a defensive coordinator job. I used to love watching Jerry O play. He hit hard for an undrafted no name. He made it easy to not miss Chad Brown in the middle