• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sand or LED'S

verbal

CCA Members
It is probably a little of both.

What does the LED look like when you shine it on a piece of white paper?

The light not being 100% white and the sand being off-white. I don't think you really want white sand. A lot of fish will look washed out if the substrate coloring is too light.

dlfn1

Members
i tried white sand once and like stated above, it washed out all my fish, so i mixed in some black and all was good!

Spine

Members
Sand never stays the original color. It will get darker over time the only way to keep it looking really bright and clean is replace it. Not worth it in my opinion

Your fish will probably like a darker substrate anyway,if you need it bright for a presentation(open house,etc) you can just top it off with a thin layer of new sand

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I find that sand will grow some algae on it over time. Keep stirring it around to keep it as close to the original color longer.

That said, the lighting can have a definite effect on the look of the tank. Different bulbs will put out different colors of light. Some are white, some are yellow, some have a blue hue to them. If you aren't trying to grow plants, pick the bulb you like the best and go with it.

fishman13

Members
It is probably a little of both.

What does the LED look like when you shine it on a piece of white paper?

The light not being 100% white and the sand being off-white. I don't think you really want white sand. A lot of fish will look washed out if the substrate coloring is too light.

Yellow.

verbal

CCA Members
I would replace it with a different fixture. With a florescent fixture you can choose from a variety of colors.

What type of LED fixture is it?

fishman13

Members
Sand never stays the original color. It will get darker over time the only way to keep it looking really bright and clean is replace it. Not worth it in my opinion

Your fish will probably like a darker substrate anyway,if you need it bright for a presentation(open house,etc) you can just top it off with a thin layer of new sand

Ok. Any one got any black sand they whant to donate.:confused::D

Hawkman2000

Members
I would return the fixture and get a deep blue w/night LEDs for around the same price and change one bulb to 10k. From what I have seen those Marineland LEDs don't put out enough light anyway. I know the Power savings and the shimmer of the LEDs are awsome, but Marineland jumped the gun on those fixtures. They should have waited for the brighter LEDs to come down in price.

Hawkman2000

Members
From what others have posted on other threads, you should be care full what fish you put that blasting grit with. It will tear up the mouths of fish that feed off the bottom. At least thats what I have read here.

STATMATT

Members
I just went to Leslie's pool supply and bought their generic PFS. it was $9 for a 50 pound bag. I bought 300 pounds. I hand removed the gravel and then put the bag in. I cut it open with a razor and spilled it into the bottom. It worked well, the detris floated up on the PFS and I used powerheads to blow it around to be sucked into the filter. The water cleared in about an hour. Cleanest substrtate I've worked with.
STATMATT