• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Salt vs. Fresh

Jefft

Members
Quick little question yall. I have stumbled upon a minimum of 2 300 gallon tanks which have been mothballed for some time. There are evidently 55's and other things which go along with everything which has been in estate storage. So here is the question if these tanks have been used for salt water. Torn down, stored form some time, (I am assuming a year or more) are they safe for fresh water cichlids?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Yes on the salt part. My 180 was a salt setup when I bought it. As for the tanks being in storage for a while, it could be an issue if the seals dried out, but might be worth the gamble if they are cheap. I'd water test them outside before setting them up in the house.

Jefft

Members
Thanks Jon!! Yeah I thought water tight might be an issue. Will certainly check all that prior to setting up. Now to find a house to move to and out of the apartment.

fishman13

Members
Quick little question yall. I have stumbled upon a minimum of 2 300 gallon tanks which have been mothballed for some time. There are evidently 55's and other things which go along with everything which has been in estate storage. So here is the question if these tanks have been used for salt water. Torn down, stored form some time, (I am assuming a year or more) are they safe for fresh water cichlids?
lol. Never heard of salt water cichlids

Jefft

Members
chuckles... let me make myself more clear if I wasnt the first time around. The tanks were used for salt water fish. Then when the owner became to old and frail to care for his saltwater fish the tanks were taken down and mothballed in storage. My question was in reference to using these tanks for my purposes which would be the fresh water cichlids. I asked if these tanks would be safe for cichlid use in fresh water. The answer was yes. ;)

fishman13

Members
chuckles... let me make myself more clear if I wasnt the first time around. The tanks were used for salt water fish. Then when the owner became to old and frail to care for his saltwater fish the tanks were taken down and mothballed in storage. My question was in reference to using these tanks for my purposes which would be the fresh water cichlids. I asked if these tanks would be safe for cichlid use in fresh water. The answer was yes. ;)
better lol