• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rust coloration forming on fake plants

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would agree that it sounds like algae. A combo of too much light and too many nutrients in the water is the typical cause.

Beeman

Members
I get the same on the tops of plants nearest to the light. But for some reason, never on the glass. I soak mine in a very mild bleach bath,maybe 1/8th cup to 5gal of scalding tap water for 10min. Then soak in JUST scalding water for another 10min or so. Then rinse again in cold water. Never a problem. Beats scrubbing every leaf.

Newguy5

Members
Yeah it's only on the tops of the leaves and a little bit on the top of the flow valve on my filter stem. It's not brown algae and the tank is never in direct sunlight. Still confused as to what it is

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Beeman

Members
More than likely diatoms. Either way, focus on how easy it is to eliminate! And then get on with the biz of enjoying your fish.:D

Hawkman2000

Members
Definitely Diatoms. I recently went through this. I just kept scrubbing it off every other day for about a week and a half, cleaning it off my mechanical media, and it went away.

Beeman

Members
What is it caused by?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nature in progress Bro! Like asking why mushrooms sprout up in wet weather! Because, as one of our members has pointed out before, you/we are creating an environment! It will take it's natural course. If you try to over manipulate this natural progression, you will be setting up a VERY UNnatural situation! Rest assured, it will NOT overwhelm your tank. As long as you water change, water change, water change!!! If there is a magic bullet, water change is it.