• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rock Star in the Making!

Lively

Members
Well, my youngest daughter got her B-Day present early... she starts lessons this Wednesday... with any luck I will imbed the YouTube vid right this time, if not the link will be below! lol

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kZK3KSm3mJw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kZK3KSm3mJw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZK3KSm3mJw

Lively

Members
Depends - after you see the video you tell me if it was a good thing it went down - lol The best I can say for her right now is - she plays enthusiastically!

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I can't wait to see her after a month of lessons. A throw rug under the kit or even blankets on the walls will help with the bounce back in the room. All that natural reveb after hours of practice is going to make the girls brain shake loose.

[YT]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kZK3KSm3mJw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kZK3KSm3mJw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YT]

Spine

Members
Nice!!. I would have loved to have you as my mom when I was your daughters age. Every time my parents asked what instrument I wanted to play, I answered "DRUMS". My dad would say ok and my mom would say "NO". Needless to say she won the battle every time.I ended up playing the trumpet, wich I really didn't care for but at least I got to sit next to the percussion section in band class.

About 8 years ago I had a friend that was selling a drum kit for cheap so I bought it and the rest is history. Granted that I'm just a self taught hacker and would probably play better and progress further with some lessons I still have plenty of fun playing.

My nephew(who lives at my mom house) likes the drums also, he comes by my house to play sometimes. One day my mom came by while we were drumming ,she says to me "I didn't know you knew how to play drums you sound good". Then she suggested I give my nephew lessons. My response was he needs a real teacher and where is he going to practice, since I'm not home much he wouldn't be able to practice here. You guessed it, her answer was "He can play at my house I don't mind". SHEEESH,go figure:blush:

Make sure you get her some good ear protection. I find that I can hear what I'm doing better when I'm wearing my ear muffs than without.

Lively

Members
She's wanted to play the drums for the last year or so - my mom would let me play the drums, either. I guess that is one of the reasons I said, ok. I also let them have icecream/cake/pie (if I don't eat the pie first! lol) for breakfast :) Yes, I do get a kick out of letting them do things like that - my mother thinks I'm crazy :)

I'll remember the earmuffs! It's a smallish room - long and narrow with tall ceilings. We also have all the guitars, keyboard and other musical stuff in there now - I don't want to dampen the acoustics too much since it is going to be the practice room for all of them - but if it gets too loud I might take your suggestion, Michael. I do want to put carpet in there, those floors have too many splinters.

Spine

Members
It's the cymbals that do the damage. Like I said before,it sound better to me when I'm wearing ear protection, granted that might be because I'm so bad. lol

Lively

Members
I didn't think of that, Michael! She's already complaining her ears are a bit deaf... definately will get something for her. Told her no more playing until she has ear protection. Man, I just painted that room and now I need to hang fabric on the walls! lol

TheWire

Members
nice!

I am thinking when my son is older...gets him the electronic drum kit cos of noise issue with neighbors!

or move to the country and screw them neighbors

Lively

Members
We thought about getting her an electric kit - but when we started researching it we were told that it's better to get a standard kit. You can get pads to go on them to lessen the noise - but moving to the country is a good idea too... kinda of why I like it out here! Horses don't much care about banging on the drum... lol

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Very nice. She really looked like she was having fun. I think you are all lucky. I got stuck playing the violin. Me and the orchestra lasted about 5 years and then I said ENOUGH!!

George

Lively

Members
Hey George - what did you want to play? You should go get yourself what ever it is - and go for it! I'm actually thinking of doing that myself.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Growing up, tried the drums and guitar. My parents made me play saxophone. I never learned to read music and so I was not good at playing anything. I really wish my parents paid for me to take lessons instead of making me play soccer and baseball.

Lively

Members
for me, it was horse back riding lessons. that is what I really wanted to do and parents (mom) said no. i guess i understand that, now - even though it cost the same to learn, the cost of the "hobby" was way more expensive than learning the piano! We had a piano in the house, the only horse we had was plastic...

I gave the girls the option of doing horseback riding lessons - our neighbor was an olympic jumper and she is trainer. Her students would be happy to teach the girls for some extra money. They opted for music lessons - gotta admit I was happy about that!

Cartel

Members
At home I just used drum pads at night and then I also had a drum shield. She looks like shes having fun! You need to post updates as she gets better with her lessons.