• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Review: Hydor Doohickey (Flo)

Becca

Members
While helping to move the Batfish Aquatics warehouse I stumbled upon a cute little whatchamadoodle that Josh let me try out - http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Rotatin...UTF8&qid=1398790610&sr=1-1&keywords=hydor+Flo

AKA - the Hydor Flo.

This little doodad can go on the output of almost any cannister filter and comes with several adapters to help it do just that. It rotates and it indicates that you should put a round pancake filter over the middle of it which will give some wet/dry surface filtration as it rotates.

I couldn't find the pancake thingy, so I took the sponge of a pancake filter I had, trimmed it a little to slide over the thingamajigger, and viola - rotating, surface breaking, sponge filter.

Now, adding the filter sponge makes it sort of ugly and very visible, but it's still a pretty cool little whoosiewhatsit.

If you have a canister filter and get a chance to try one of these things, definitely do. I'm not sure if it does much other than make mild waves and spin, but a little extra filtration for no extra power expenditure is certainly a plus. Also, I can tell when the flow on my Eheim Ecco is less than optimal because it stops spinning.

I know Josh had a few more on his shelves - maybe he'll sell them, or maybe he's using them as paperweights.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I remembered seeing it in your tank and never asked you about it. I think people with large tanks would benefit from changing flow and added surface area for bb.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Acpape0

Members
I have seen these used in nano reefs as a cheap alternative to get random motion for corals. Wave maker timers can get expensive. They are notorious for jamming up...but frequent cleaning will prevent this. I think HOT stocks these if you wanted to get a closer look

Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app