• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Returning to the hobby

BBQgrippos

Members
Hello everyone!

This is BBQgrippos (best chips ever made IMO) and I hail from the Louisville, KY area.

I am returning to hobby after several years of not having fish. One upon a time I kept a pair of large Oscars in a 55gal. setup.

Recently, I purchased a 38gal. tank and have an assortment of six small to medium-sized Mbuna's. I've always enjoyed cichlids and now want to share the experience with my children.

My setup:
Aqueon 38 gallon tank (glass)
Aqueon hood
24" Reef Sun 50/50 bulb
CaribSea Eco-Complete Cichlid Substrate
Magnum H.O.T. Filter
AquaClear 70 Filter Power Filter
Assortment of Underwater Galleries' Cichlid Stones
Heater....(drawing a blank on the wattage at the moment).

Future plans/thoughts would be to add a Blue Johanni or Demasoni or Fuelleborni.

verbal

CCA Members
Welcome to the forum.

Generally people seem to have a lot more success with mbuna in a 4' tank. I would rule out Demasoni and Fulleborni to attempt in a 3' long tank. Johanni(with yellow females) would also be problematic choice. However there is a chance that Maingano http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=756 might work, since they are small and not overly aggressive.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Welcome back - you should check out the American Cichlid Association Convention this summer in Indianapolis (not too far) :)

Matt

BBQgrippos

Members
Verbal - ty for the advice and the pic. That is a beautiful fish.

dogofwar- I frequently travel to Indy so I'll check out the con.

Spine

Members
Welcome back to the hobby Craig. Keeping fish is a lot like staying at the Hotel California, you can check in but you can never leave:D