• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Restocking the 150

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
As I figured, my wipe thread had sort of started to turn into a restocking thread... which is fine because that's what my attempt at a glass-half-full mindset has been built around the last few days.

This being the case, I figured I'd move out of the old world section and into the more appropriate new world section. ;)

I was thinking about discus for a second, but don't have the money to get something that ambitions started up properly. Sure, I can start with fewer than I should or lesser quality discus, but an undertaking like that should be done right to do it justice. One of these days, I will sit down with my friend, Hans and get things rolling right.

I'm thinking of either a community built around a single group of Geophagus or possibly a mixed central American setup. But I'm sure there are all sorts of other cool ideas involving fish I know nothing about.

Some constraints/design criteria:

1. Cories - I like cories. I like them a lot. But given the fact that the fish in all but two of my tanks currently set up like hard water has prevented me from properly keeping them. Throw in the fact that my current cichlids will turn them into chew toys and that's why I keep synos. So constraint #1 - a large school of cories.
  2. Plecos - I'd like to keep a few different cool single specimens in there. Not even going to consider the ridiculous logistics of trying to breed a single species in a giant community setup, so no worries there.
  3. Schooling fish - A group or two of tetras/barbs/rasboras would be pretty sweet in a tall 6 footer, I think.
  4. Breeding - I like breeding behavior. Would like to either see one dominant group breeding or perhaps more than one if I lean towards a community of more than one species of cichlid. I don't however want to end up with a tank full of 500 chanchitos by next spring (no offense, Matt). I'm not looking for the new world equivalent to a horde of Neolamprologus brichardi.
  5. Plants - I like planted tanks, but I already have my nice 45 gal planted tank upstairs. The high lighting and selection of easy varieties (anubias, giant val, cryptocoryne) has allowed this tank to be near zero maintenance. I like that, but it's taken years to get to that state and frankly, don't want to bother doing that again. I'd like to scape the tank with some easy plants and large chunks of driftwood, but nothing requiring a monster lighting investment. Lots of open swimming room, not the jungle I have in the 45. (I'm open to changing media from the current PFS/black 3M if it will look better)
  6. Big meanies - Sorry DQ, but no. I want more that 3 fish in the tank, without the possibility of random homicidal rampages. I have my La Cieba Freddies growing out and will eventually have a pair in one of those 50 long tanks. Similarly, not at all interested in doing the single male community tank with an oscar, a jag, a festae, a polleni..... I'm not saying I won't have one of these setups some day, just not now; too similar to big male Malawi tanks imo (I know.. much different, but still not interested now).
  7. Biotope - Wile I'm not looking for everything to be from the exact location on a river, I'd like to do fish that are sort of related. Not too interested in keeping convicts with angels and Malagasy cichlids. I'm flexible with mixing in tetras and catfish from other places though.
  8. Cost - Like the discus, I'm not looking to spend a fortune on cichlids. With the recent acquisition of some other fish (from a lake that shall not be mentioned in this section of the forum), I'd rather not spend $60-$80 each on adult fish. I'm completely fine with purchasing sub-adults on the more pricey stuff.
Anyway, what do you all think? I'll throw it out there now that I don't know a whole lot about new world cichlids and will probably ask some stupid questions.

I can spout off most scientific names of Malawi haps and tell you differences between collection points, but when it comes to our southern neighbors, I look to my friends in the club for help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Andrew

Members
I would do discus... Get smaller ones and grow them out, preferably from Hans. Then you can also do warm water cories, plecos, plants etc.

londonloco

Members
I agree, I'd def go with discus in a 6 footer. I've done the community planted tetra 6 foot tank. Nice at first, but after a few months you'll be bored, (ok IMO). Discus and cory's planted would be beautiful, I would go low light, low maintenance, NO co2, mineralized top soil (aaron's soil mix with potash, clay and domolite) with spectra quartz (3M replacement) and some mopani wood or dragon stone (found on ebay). (If you decide to go w/soil substrate, pm me, I have the potash, clay and domolite for you). This does limit your fish selection to non diggers tho, which can be a pita.

fischfan13

Banned
Tony, make H sure U that G your E tank is E ready C for C new occupants A before U you C add T any I thing O new N in it.
Whatever N you O do V good E luck M and B can't E wait R to 6 see th! it.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I figured I'd move out of the old world section and into the more appropriate new world section.

Good idea. Really like the "more appropriate" jab..

I was thinking about discus for a second, but don't have the money to get something that ambitions started up properly. Sure, I can start with fewer than I should or lesser quality discus, but an undertaking like that should be done right to do it justice. One of these days, I will sit down with my friend, Hans and get things rolling right.

If you've got a patience gene that you can get operational, a lot to be said for starting with a tank full of juveniles and growing them up/out together. Cheaper, makes for a better prospect for compatibility and by my way of thinking more satisfying in the long term if not in other ways as immediately gratifying.

I'm thinking of either a community built around a single group of Geophagus or possibly a mixed central American setup. But I'm sure there are all sorts of other cool ideas involving fish I know nothing about.

I have four very rambunctious juvenile altifrons that are growing like weeds that you may have for what I gave for them ($25)

Some constraints/design criteria:

1. Cories - I like cories. I like them a lot. But given the fact that the fish in all but two of my tanks currently set up like hard water has prevented me from properly keeping them. Throw in the fact that my current cichlids will turn them into chew toys and that's why I keep synos. So constraint #1 - a large school of cories.

Fellow in Baltimore named Arthur has all sorts of Corydoras that he breeds in tap water, happy to put you in touch with him. He pretty much has a ceiling price of $5.00/each for juveniles of any type. Redkahuna on Aquabid but I like visiting him in person. Also easy to keep several species together - they don't mind at all and seem glad of the extra company.

2. Plecos - I'd like to keep a few different cool single specimens in there. Not even going to consider the ridiculous logistics of trying to breed a single species in a giant community setup, so no worries there.

I keep yellow Ancistrus for algae control and because they're really mellow.

3. Schooling fish - A group or two of tetras/barbs/rasboras would be pretty sweet in a tall 6 footer, I think.

Barbs are Asian, tetras are New World. Columbians are the bomb, Buenos Aires not far behind. They both get pretty big, stepping down in size Diamonds are pretty great and great looking, below that I like Bloodfins and Silvertips though they tend to get munched over time by larger tankmates.

4. Breeding - I like breeding behavior. Would like to either see one dominant group breeding or perhaps more than one if I lean towards a community of more than one species of cichlid. I don't however want to end up with a tank full of 500 chanchitos by next spring (no offense, Matt). I'm not looking for the new world equivalent to a horde of Neolamprologus brichardi.

With a big tank and lots of cover, no reason why you shouldn't be able to breed 2 or 3 cichlid species and additionally be regularly harvesting Cory eggs off the sides of the glass. With something really mild tempered (Biotodoma) you could spawn Apistos and other dwarf cichlids alongside.[

5. Plants - I like planted tanks, but I already have my nice 45 gal planted tank upstairs. The high lighting and selection of easy varieties (anubias, giant val, cryptocoryne) has allowed this tank to be near zero maintenance. I like that, but it's taken years to get to that state and frankly, don't want to bother doing that again. I'd like to scape the tank with some easy plants and large chunks of driftwood, but nothing requiring a monster lighting investment. Lots of open swimming room, not the jungle I have in the 45. (I'm open to changing media from the current PFS/black 3M if it will look better)

Water sprite, hornwort, wisteria, anubias, Java fern Java moss, guppy grass, pennywort.

6. Big meanies - Sorry DQ, but no. I want more that 3 fish in the tank, without the possibility of random homicidal rampages. I have my La Cieba Freddies growing out and will eventually have a pair in one of those 50 long tanks. Similarly, not at all interested in doing the single male community tank with an oscar, a jag, a festae, a polleni..... I'm not saying I won't have one of these setups some day, just not now; too similar to big male Malawi tanks imo (I know.. much different, but still not interested now).

Agree. We all already did gym class when we were younger.

7. Biotope - Wile I'm not looking for everything to be from the exact location on a river, I'd like to do fish that are sort of related. Not too interested in keeping convicts with angels and Malagasy cichlids. I'm flexible with mixing in tetras and catfish from other places though.

A real biotope mimics physical parameters as well as water and species composition. Hard to do justice to in a glass box.

8. Cost - Like the discus, I'm not looking to spend a fortune on cichlids. With the recent acquisition of some other fish (from a lake that shall not be mentioned in this section of the forum), I'd rather not spend $60-$80 each on adult fish. I'm completely fine with purchasing sub-adults on the more pricey stuff.

Except for some rare Corydoras, have never paid more than $15-$20 for everything I keep including discus. Cost should not be an issue.[/FONT]

Anyway, what do you all think? I'll throw it out there now that I don't know a whole lot about new world cichlids and will probably ask some stupid questions.

Go for it. Another alternative is North American natives - check out the NANFA site - a lot of amazing US natives out there, many which you can collect and still very much an aspect of the hobby in its infancy. But you really should drop by and check out my version of the Life Aquatic - drinks are on me.

londonloco

Members
Tony, make H sure U that G your E tank is E ready C for C new occupants A before U you C add T any I thing O new N in it.
Whatever N you O do V good E luck M and B can't E wait R to 6 see th! it.

:happy0007::happy0007: Prime example why this is my favorite forum.....

Plenipotentiary-at-large
-1 on substrate amendments...

...with proper and adequate light and right plant species just not worth the hassle/expense. Beauty (and diversity) in simplicity as well.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Tony

I'd go for a large group of red head tapajos geophagus. They are absolutely beautiful, do well in groups, and are mouthbrooders so they wouldn't be too far from some of the stuff you are used to. You could fill out the middle part of the tank with a nice pair of a larger SA - severum, acara, chocolate or the like. You could also do a group of festivum instead of the pair. Although you couldn't keep a school of smaller tetras with these fish, you could easily do a group of taller bodies like bleeding hearts or columbian. Plecos and cories would fit in great.

Let's talk more over some beers.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Angels and tetras and corys and apistos and plecos and anubias and vals and ferns and mazanita wood

Agreed.
I recently took my 150, installed some rummy nose, 12 cardinals, 12 white clouds, some red swords, 20 small angels, about 25 Sterbai, 3 L333's
and a few plants. Man that val is taking over the tank. LOL
Calming but always movement in the tank.

Don't forget rainbow cichlids. This is my boy. He's very pretty and you get really interesting breeding behavior. One of my pairs is breeding for Jon right now (at least they were). Mine are temporarily celibate.

tank2.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Tony

I'd go for a large group of red head tapajos geophagus. They are absolutely beautiful, do well in groups, and are mouthbrooders so they wouldn't be too far from some of the stuff you are used to. You could fill out the middle part of the tank with a nice pair of a larger SA - severum, acara, chocolate or the like. You could also do a group of festivum instead of the pair. Although you couldn't keep a school of smaller tetras with these fish, you could easily do a group of taller bodies like bleeding hearts or columbian. Plecos and cories would fit in great.

Let's talk more over some beers.

Count me in on the beers and talk!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I think it would be really interesting to set up your tank as a west african biotopre. Congo tetra for schooling would be a great way to go. As for cichlids, you have many choices. Tilapia, hemichromis, benitochromis, chromidotilapia, nanochromis, pelmatochromis and pelvicachromis are a few of the many types to choose from. anubias would be appropriate.

ddavila06

Members
i tried a small west african biotope and plants were not a problem to get, small fish aside from kribs were hard in the other hand. would love to see what you guys can do!

or a south american biotope since the fish are easier to come by =D

So looking forward to this tank. +1 on the Rainbow cichlids, mine are as tough as convicts but mellow around smaller stuff. Franny's list is a pretty good setup. Tetras: Bleeding hearts, or a shoal of silver dollars, thats what I have setup in my 120 and absolutely love watching those guys move together. Thats also where I put the six Paratheraps Synspilum, which seems to be working out pretty well so far. The tank is littered with corys as well without any issues.