• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

removing painted backgrounds...

JasonC

Members
So any ideas for removing a painted background other than the razorblade+ elbow grease method?

Tank is empty, and I have been eyeballing the paint strippers they sell at Home Despot... but cant rationalize using caustic chemicals on a tank... not only for future inhabitants, but don't know what that would do to the silicone. Did see one that was orange oil based though... maybe?

Any other ideas, or is it time to just man up and do it the hard way? ;P

Hawkman2000

Members
This might work - lay a piece of cloth on the painted surface keeping close to the edge of the silicone, but not touching it, use a sponge to dab paint striper on to the cloth, let it soak, the paint should soften and peal of with the cloth. If it doesn't peal off, it will atleast soften the paint without compromising the silicone so you can scrape it off with a credit card or plastic puddy knife.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would just use the razor blade if you are worried about chemicals getting into the tank. The paint won't bond to the glass, so it should come off in a matter of minutes. Get one of those razor blade holder scrapers to make it a bit easier.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Home Depot used to carry an organic/bio/eco friendly stripping gel similar to this,

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Clea...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Not sure if it was Citrus Strip or Ready Strip, can't remember the company name. It was a cool product that work surprisingly well. Spread the product out like a jelly or paste, let it sit for a few hours and peel the whole paint and stripper layer off in a vinyl sheet. Perhaps the name was 'Strip N Peel'??? It was much nicer to use than the Kiwk Strip products and you did not need to hazmat the waste! Good Luck.

BevN

Members
Having scraped a bunch of them with a razor I can tell you it comes off pretty easy. Just make sure you have extra blades as it can dull them pretty quick. As long as the blade is sharp and you take it off in long strokes it should only take you less than 5 minutes.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
COMES OFF VERY EASILY ESPECIALLY IF YOU POUR REGULAR RUBBING ALCOHOL ON IT WILL EVEN WIPE OFF. ....FYI. THEN CLEAN WITH VINEGAR/WATER

rsretep

Members
I am scraping paint off a 90 gallon did a small test and razor blade does a fine job, cant imagine it taking more than about ten minutes

JasonC

Members
Ha! okay... lots of guilt trips there ;P I'm gonna go to the hardware store tomorrow after work and pick up a proper blade holder... def. will try the rubbing alcohol though for grins... have it in a spray bottle in my fish area anyways.. may as well see if it works...

Hawkman2000

Members
This might work - lay a piece of cloth on the painted surface keeping close to the edge of the silicone, but not touching it, use a sponge to dab paint striper on to the cloth, let it soak, the paint should soften and peal of with the cloth. If it doesn't peal off, it will atleast soften the paint without compromising the silicone so you can scrape it off with a credit card or plastic puddy knife.

I have way to much time on my hands. Man I'm bored.