• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Regular styrofoam in bottom of the tank -- OK?

Please tell me I didn't do something stupid when setting up my new tank. I put a layer of regular styrofoam in the bottom, then rocks, then substrate. I've never used sytrofoam before, but wanted to raise up the substrate (it's a very tall tank) and didn't want to put rocks directly on the glass.

Is there any danger that the stryofoam will contaminate the water in some way? There does seem to be quite a layer of "scum" for lack of a better word on the top of the water. I'm going to adjust the output to make it agitate the water more (and can add a powerhead, too). I just haven't added fish yet and I"m starting to get OCD about it . . .

bertolli

Members
I don't know it probably depends on the type of foam you used. The only time I have heard of people putting styrofoam in tanks is with custom backgrounds and those have been coated with cement and paint.

all the backgrounds that i have done i have used DryLoc paint to seal it except for the backs of them and i have had no problems with the blue foam. im not sure about regular old white tho.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
The standard Home Depot blue or pink foam should be fine. :)

Jumbie

Members
Its fine...When I was stacking some large heavy pieces of rock I used styro and it never caused a problem. Make sure you have a good amount of gravel on top of the foam; otherwise it will pop up and float to the top lol.

Its fine...When I was stacking some large heavy pieces of rock I used styro and it never caused a problem. Make sure you have a good amount of gravel on top of the foam; otherwise it will pop up and float to the top lol.

Or you can always use Silicone to stick it to the bottom just make sure it is GE I not II

and wait till it doesn't smell like vinegar anymore to fill it then there's no worries

Thank you! It's buried under tons of substrate and rocks, so there's no fear of it floating. And it's just regular ol' white styrofoam. I just saw the scum on the top this morning and had a panic attack that I'd brought about a toxic environment.

GE II no es bueno?

nosir it has fungicide in it that prevents mildew when used for its proper use but all of us hightech, redneck, DIY kinda folks rarely look at something as its intended use and see what we can make fishy outta it.

GE I is for doors and windows
GE II is for tub and sinks hence the difference

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I used styro back in the day and I think I like it better than the eggcrate I'm using now. With white sand, the fish could dig down to the styro and it wasn't nearly as noticeable as the eggcrate is. Never had any problems with little styro balls floating in the tank, only a couple in the beginning and one every great once in a while. ;)

Sonny Disposition

Do a water change or two. Then stock it with a cheap fish as a test.

Thank you! It's buried under tons of substrate and rocks, so there's no fear of it floating. And it's just regular ol' white styrofoam. I just saw the scum on the top this morning and had a panic attack that I'd brought about a toxic environment.

thank you all. I did a mini water change last night and put in two of my synodontis lucippinis as guinea pigs. This morning, they were quite happy in their new tank, so I think it passed the "safety" test!