• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Red terror festea issues

Briwike

Members
So I have a pair of festea. But I have only had on successful spawn. I removed half when they became free swimming the other half a week later and raised the fry with good success. My issue is since they have had 4 spawns all start well but end with nothing to show. It's like the eggs get to hatch or almost hatch then disappear. They are in a 6 ft 180 gallon and they have 3 tank mates but they are the biggest at 10 in male 9 in female. Who is getting after the eggs? Should I pull the eggs from now on? Also tank mates include small flower horn, grammoda, and a long skinny black and yellow barb. Any help

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Those guys can be nasty and although they cant do much harm with their mouth just his harassment may be very stressful. He may also be making a meal out of the eggs if given a chance.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

This is just a thought but sometimes removing the fry to soon can upset the pair but they usually get over it and make more. Do they have a nice secluded spot where they can feel comfortable and unseen? If your confident they eggs are good and healthy I would assume it has more to do with enviornment or something that's not up to their standards, if that males sense.

blkmjk

Members
Personally I would add non-aggressive tank mates, barbs, small midas, silver dollars. Give the pair a spawning cave and let the rest happen naturally. If the pair don't have something to defend against they may take their aggression out on each other.

Drew

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Personally I would add non-aggressive tank mates, barbs, small midas, silver dollars. Give the pair a spawning cave and let the rest happen naturally. If the pair don't have something to defend against they may take their aggression out on each other.

Drew

True that

Briwike

Members
This is just a thought but sometimes removing the fry to soon can upset the pair but they usually get over it and make more. Do they have a nice secluded spot where they can feel comfortable and unseen? If your confident they eggs are good and healthy I would assume it has more to do with enviornment or something that's not up to their standards, if that males sense.

They have there own large rock that they just hang out around. No one messes with it. I have only had one good spawn and removed fry after a week. Since something is eating the eggs. You know, their one good spawn was when I had larger cichlids in the tank with then. Maybe they don't feel as threaten so they lax off and the smaller grammodes gets in and eats um.