• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Red Shoulder Severums laid eggs !

zenins

Members
Hey everyone,

My Red Shoulder Severums have laid eggs again yesterday.
They did last year as well, but the eggs were eaten by the other tank occupants ( probably the loaches and plecos )
About half the eggs were gone today.
Anyway, the parents look great in their breeding dress ...

IMG_8034.jpg

Closeup of eggs:
IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8054.jpg

Yeah, sorry about the blue gravel, it is not going to change anytime soon, that is what came with the used aquarium ... :blush:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Great fish.
I had some years ago that bred for me.
Problem was not getting them to breed or raise the fry.
The problem was getting rid of 500-1000 fry each time they bred.
They take too long to get to any size and with that size fish you need tons of grow out space.
Most of mine ended up as pike food or in a store that used them to cycle its central filtration ssytem before opening.

Still love that color on them.

zenins

Members
Only about 50 eggs left.
The loaches, pleco and other fish are snatching the eggs despite the parents best efforts.
Maybe next year I will set up a tank just for them ( and maybe a few dither fish ) to see if they spawn again :)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I notice you said last year they laid eggs.
and if they lay again next year.

If I took the eggs away from mine they were laying every 10 days. You could quickly be over run with fry.

marge618

CCA member
Hey everyone,

My Red Shoulder Severums have laid eggs again yesterday.
They did last year as well, but the eggs were eaten by the other tank occupants ( probably the loaches and plecos )
About half the eggs were gone today.
Anyway, the parents look great in their breeding dress ...

IMG_8034.jpg

Closeup of eggs:
IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8054.jpg

Yeah, sorry about the blue gravel, it is not going to change anytime soon, that is what came with the used aquarium ... :blush:

Wow, guess I included your message so I could see the great pics again. Good luck with the little ones. How about set up another tank for the 'other' fish next week....

zenins

Members
How about set up another tank for the 'other' fish next week....
Good idea, but I am at my spouse imposed limit now, all my tanks are on the main floor, with 3 aquariums in the family room and more in the former dining room, which is now the room for the computer, reading sofa, and 6 more aquariums ... :D

Well, this morning, all the eggs are gone, so maybe next year, in their own aquarium I will raise some up :)