• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

red long fin Pleco

verbal

CCA Members
I don't know of anyone who has them locally. I think Aquabid will be your best bet.

One thing to watch out for with fancy BN plecos - there is no such thing as carrying the long fin gene. It is a dominant gene if neither parent has long fins the babies will not.

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
I don't know of anyone who has them locally. I think Aquabid will be your best bet.

One thing to watch out for with fancy BN plecos - there is no such thing as carrying the long fin gene. It is a dominant gene if neither parent has long fins the babies will not.

Can you explain this a little more?

Becca

Members
Can you explain this a little more?

I think what Jesse means is that you shouldn't buy from someone who says their plecos "carry" the long fin gene. If the plecos have the gene, it will show because it's a dominant trait.

For instance, sometimes two regular bristlenose plecos will have some albino offspring because the albino gene is recessive. Each parent could have it, but not show it. If you have one albino parent, the offspring will always carry the gene, even if they are not albino. This is not true of the long-fin plecos. If the offspring have the gene, they WILL have long fins. So don't buy a short-finned pleco with a "long fin gene" because they don't have that gene.

Does that help?

Forester

Members
Im getting some as soon as it warms up a little but I wont have em breeding till the end of this year. Check out angels plus they have some.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
I think what Jesse means is that you shouldn't buy from someone who says their plecos "carry" the long fin gene. If the plecos have the gene, it will show because it's a dominant trait.

For instance, sometimes two regular bristlenose plecos will have some albino offspring because the albino gene is recessive. Each parent could have it, but not show it. If you have one albino parent, the offspring will always carry the gene, even if they are not albino. This is not true of the long-fin plecos. If the offspring have the gene, they WILL have long fins. So don't buy a short-finned pleco with a "long fin gene" because they don't have that gene.

Does that help?

Thats what I thought it just not how i read it lol. This is good info to keep in mind!!! Thanks!!!

verbal

CCA Members

Does that help?

That is correct, and a better explanation.