• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Recommendation about plant sales at Club auctions:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Might we make it an informal rule that bagged plants containing duckweed be labeled as such? 'Tis most inconvenient and to my mind rude to assume that everyone wants this in their tanks - am sure anyone who has expended the effort and diligence required to eliminate it from a tank will agree that it sucks to suddenly find it instantly re-established. A courtesy warning would be simple and a great prophylaxis against unscheduled profanity.

fischfan13

Banned
I say that the auctioneer-guy should inspect each bag much closer, possibly while sitting on the lap of much smaller (well there aren't many that are larger) CCA members.

Sam, get some Ps Williamsi...they devour Duckweed!

mscichlid

Founder
Usually I assume that duckweed is possibly on the plants. I like the stuff, so it doesn't bother me. Only the most decerning of plant keepers will proudly state that there is no duckweed. At a cichlid (mostly) auction you should expect algae, suckweed and snails.

Mab uses a bleach solution for his newly acquired plants and those he sells. Hopefully he will chime in and give us the recipe.

For eradication and collection of duckweed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNM6ai_3cng

Ghazanfar has a simple method by using an inverted water bottle with the bottom cut off. Place the mouth of the bottle over the intake of a power head, insert a thin, disc shaped piece of foam in the neck of the bottle, attached the contraption to the glass just below the surface, plug it in. Depending on your levels of duckweed, clean foam and replace the thing back in the tank.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Almost strictly New World over here mate.

Purging it is not the problem, at least if it's before it's put in a tank - it's simply being aware/remembering that it is or might be there in the first place. All it would take is to write '+DS' on the bag/tag.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Ghazanfar has a simple method by using an inverted water bottle with the bottom cut off. Place the mouth of the bottle over the intake of a power head, insert a thin, disc shaped piece of foam in the neck of the bottle, attached the contraption to the glass just below the surface, plug it in. Depending on your levels of duckweed, clean foam and replace the thing back in the tank.
That would be nice if this method was actually simple and actually worked. It is not and it does not. Any plant I sold may have a small bit of suckweed but it was not on purpose and I have tried harder than most to purge it from my fishroom.

I HATE DUCK (CRAP) WEED!!!!!!

George

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
The last bag of fish I bought had three leaves of duckweed. I was lucky to see them and get rid of them before netting the fish and duckweed from acclimation into another tank.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
They may have been my plants you bought. I don't have any duckweed in that tank just red root floaters. I tried to get most of the floating plants off. Didn't think of writing anything on the bag since it wasnt a pest snail or algae.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

Buckcich

Members
Duck weed seen to be a problem with SA/CA and aquatic plant keepers. Unfortunaly I don't have that fortune, I like to keep my Mbunas well fed :lol:

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Usually I assume that duckweed is possibly on the plants. I like the stuff, so it doesn't bother me. Only the most decerning of plant keepers will proudly state that there is no duckweed. At a cichlid (mostly) auction you should expect algae, suckweed and snails.

Mab uses a bleach solution for his newly acquired plants and those he sells. Hopefully he will chime in and give us the recipe.

For eradication and collection of duckweed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNM6ai_3cng

Thanks for the video. I can use that method when the floaters get out of hand.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

mab

Members

First I have a duck weed syphon as mentioned - I'll bring it to the next meeting so folks can see it. I used to keep a big fantail in the fishroom - he and the rainbows were good at keeping the duckweed in check.

Second - the recipe referred to is for killing snails, parasites, etc on plants. I use a pickling alum soak for a couple days and then finish with fluke tabs for a couple more. I also use a bleach solution for killing algae. I'll look in my files to see if I still have the word doc that some of you may have seen posted in fish room.

Regarding duckweed - it is a problem - just as we "should" take care to quarantine fish we should take the same care with plants and even inverts. Duckweed is one of the easiest "problems" not to introduce to our aquariums - a careful inspection and rinse is not that onerous.

mab

Members
I say that the auctioneer-guy should inspect each bag much closer,...

Bill - it is not the responsibility of the auctioneer guy to inspect each bag. Having served in the past as auctioneer it is difficult enough without that added burden - I commend you for your willingness to do the auctions and saving me from not having to do so.

I ask everyone to familiarize themselfs with the CCA auction rules - there were several items in the May auction that should have been refused to auction, for instance no opened food is allowed - someone clearly labeled a bucket that way - this item was in clear violation of the rules. Actually, this should have been caught when the seller sheet was accepted. Many clubs do not allow lightbulbs (period.) And, broken equipment that is not properly labeled as such.

Additionally, I think the club should charge the seller a dollar for trying to sell junk (broken equipment, etc.,) that does not sell. Not fish - just junk hardware.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Duckweed

I ended up with some duckweed, too. Luckily, I had put the plants temporarily in a small fry grow out tank, so the problem is contained, at least for now.

Guess I should know better, having gotten some snails on some plants a few months back.

kaj41354

Members
Bill - it is not the responsibility of the auctioneer guy to inspect each bag. Having served in the past as auctioneer it is difficult enough without that added burden - I commend you for your willingness to do the auctions and saving me from not having to do so.

I ask everyone to familiarize themselfs with the CCA auction rules - there were several items in the May auction that should have been refused to auction, for instance no opened food is allowed - someone clearly labeled a bucket that way - this item was in clear violation of the rules. Actually, this should have been caught when the seller sheet was accepted. Many clubs do not allow lightbulbs (period.) And, broken equipment that is not properly labeled as such.

Additionally, I think the club should charge the seller a dollar for trying to sell junk (broken equipment, etc.,) that does not sell. Not fish - just junk hardware.

Wow Michael, you hit the nail on the head with that. I have found that most (not all) do not read rules for anything. Even here at work. and when you bring it up the answer is always the same.

" well that isn't how I read the rule" or in other words, "I didn't read it and it shouldn't apply to me".

The auctioneer really isn't responsible for that, he or she is usually more interested in getting the most $$ for the bag. there have been times where I have read what is labelled on the bag and then at last minute saw that it was mislabeled and sometimes didn't see it. I know Bill tries to do that but thats not where the responsibility lies.

fischfan13

Banned
mab;88377[COLOR=Red said:
]Bill - it is not the responsibility of the auctioneer guy to inspect each bag. Having served in the past as auctioneer it is difficult enough without that added burden - I commend you for your willingness to do the auctions and saving me from not having to do so.[/COLOR]

Oh boy, LOL, I was only joking about the auctioneer inspecting each bag.
I do agree that there should be policing of items that are being registered for auction.

longstocking

Members
Note to everyone... my plants have duckweed.... most of them at least. Another note... they are all kept in a ph of 8.2 ... so they will melt if put into soft ph. Even though I put easy plants that are not expensive at all.... the reason I do it so that people that have hard water tanks shouldn't have problems with the plants.

I saw most of the plant bags since I run... a lot of them have duckweed... so I know it's not just me. But figured I would be up front here.

I like duckweed as well.... so, I don't care if you sell me plants with duckweed.

ddavila06

Members
I need duckweed.
I want duckweed.
My fish devour duckweed.
I am running low on duckweed.

Just saying.:blush:

that is funny! i just trashed a bunch of giant duckweed because it completely covered my 125 while i was out on vacations! maybe next time.

i too don't like regular duckweed but whenever i buy plants i do a quick rinse and toss them in the tank. if i see any i use a brine shrimp net to dip them out, one by one :eek:

I had duckweed. Then I got rainbow cichlids. Now I don't have duckweed. I like not having duckweed. I like having rainbow cichlids!!:lol:

mrkillie

Members
I had duckweed. Then I got rainbow cichlids. Now I don't have duckweed. I like not having duckweed. I like having rainbow cichlids!!:lol:

I had snails. Then I got black belt cichlids. Now I don't have snails (at least not in that tank). I like not having snails. I like having black belt cichlids!! :lol:

Same goes for striped botias and clown loaches. :D