• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

RCS Compatability Question

Hawkman2000

Members
Thinking of putting some RCS in with 2 Firemouths, 2 Cons, and a few Rainbows. I got a nice big piece of Java Fern in driftwwod that they should feel right at home in. Just wondering if the Cichlids would destroy them.

I'm just kinda tired of scrubbing all the crap off of the leaves by hand, and I have read that RCS will do a better job cleaning it than me.

Wydukey1991

Members
IMO if there is enough hiding spots and such for the RCS and a high enough number of them u have a decent survival rate

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If I am correct in thinking RCS = Red Cherry Shrimp, you will be providing feeders to your fish rather than algae cleaners to the tank.

Hawkman2000

Members
Another RCS question. I got a Fluval Chi as a Christmas present for my mother. I am wondering if German Rams would tear up a couple of RCS?

I tried both amano and cherry shrimp at different times. They were eated quickly and with relish by Bolivian and blue rams and angels. They were very expensive treats

mchambers

Former CCA member
I actually have a tank that includes both RCS and blue rams, and the RCS are thriving. Must be 50-75 RCS in there. The tank has a lot of driftwood and plants, so the shrimp have places to hide. So it's possible that RCS and blue rams can coexist.

I agree, however, that it's risky. My main RCS colony shares a tank with corydoras, so they're safe.

verbal

CCA Members
Are RCS safe with eggs and/or fry? I have a batch of strawberry apisto eggs and I will have to pull them at some point. My RCS shrimp tank looks like the best bet for housing them.