• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Raphael Catfish ?????

Picking up 6in ralphy today can anyone give me any good, bad or indifferent opinions on them? this is my first one so i dont want to go wrong...

YSS

Members
If you have any hiding places in your tank, don't plan on ever seeing them during the day. :)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
They're cool but you'll probably never see him if you have hiding places. I've heard of people "losing" them for months and then "finding" them when rescaping the tank. They'll find food, nothing special required, any hard pellet that sinks and won't break up right away.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
No offense, but I wouldn't bother picking him up. Had one years ago. Saw him in the pet shop and thought he was cool. Threw him in one of those plastic-insert river tank setups and never saw him again. Thought he croaked and the other fish took care of him. Found him two years later when I was tearing down the tank; alive and much larger.

Unless you're into watching your tanks with nightvision goggles (nothing wrong with that if you are...it just ain't for me), then I'd go with something more active.

Check out Andrew's article in this month's TFW for some alternatives. :happy0144:

EDIT: Re-read the post and sounded too much like a Debbie-downer.... if you really want him, don't let me disway you. I'd say keep him in a semi-sparsely decorated tank, so you could actually see him from time to time. Like I said, they're neat looking but they hide more than any other fish I've ever kept.

Last edited:
as i said i love it would not want it any other way. on the upside i am actually getting this one as a give away so there is no upfront investment on my part.

Tony

as i said i love it would not want it any other way. on the upside i am actually getting this one as a give away so there is no upfront investment on my part.

10-4. :D

I would definitely say do it then. Looking at you stocklist, I would guess you would need a sturdy cat like that. Just make sure he's not in with something big enough to try to eat him... would end badly for the aggressor.

Here's a good article on them from Planetcatfish: http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=76

Apparently, you need to give them some sort of decent cover or they will hide behind the heater and burn themselves.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
lmao. I guess.

I figure we're all big boys and would hope you guys would do the same for me if (and when, lol) I was thinking about purchasing something I didn't know about. :)
I wouldn't call you out if you weren't my boy. Straight to the point is the way to go for many questions, so keep the honesty coming. Sure know I'll have to talk you out of stuff on a regular basis.

For the cat, nice pickup. Just wanted to make sure you knew he wasn't going to be a social day swimmer.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Raphael cats are most interesting when being dropped in or out of a tank - they grunt :)

I've had them over the years. Kinda cool, I guess...

Matt

ok guys i pick this guy up on friday, built out some some rock caves for him to hide out in and be comfortable and he has done exactly the OPPOSITE of what everyone has said he would do.... i have not seen him hide out yet, this is hilarious. the common pleco which is smaller has taken up residence in the rock cave and the ralphy actually spends his time swimming around and hanging out on the drift wood. just goes to show there is always one that will go against the norm.... LoL

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Glad he is working out for you. My only experience with them is similar to most - bought the fish and never saw him until I broke the tank down.

Tony

ok guys i pick this guy up on friday, built out some some rock caves for him to hide out in and be comfortable and he has done exactly the OPPOSITE of what everyone has said he would do.... i have not seen him hide out yet, this is hilarious. the common pleco which is smaller has taken up residence in the rock cave and the ralphy actually spends his time swimming around and hanging out on the drift wood. just goes to show there is always one that will go against the norm.... LoL

Terrell, that's great! They're cool looking cats. Glad you ended up with a social butterfly. :D

Goes to show you, when it comes to fish, different folks' experiences aren't always the rule.

I built a hideaway for mine, but had it out in the middle of the tank. He thought he was hiding, but it was just a flat piece of slate stacked on 2 square stones. You could look under it any time and see him perfectly.