• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Raising Dahnia Indoors

Paul S

Does anyone here raise daphnia indoors? Is it easy and inexpensive to do?
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

mrkillie

Members
The best success I've had raising daphnia indoors came when I had enough green water to feed to them. That's basicly it-lots of microfoods and you'll get lots of daphnia. Lots of water changes too, of course. In lieu of green water, I supplemented with very fine spirulina powder.

I will say that once I had some in a trash can outside when I lived in NY. It was right next to a stack of cinder blocks, which I suppose mice were nesting in for the winter. Well, one of the little unfortunates must have lost his footing and fell into the trash can. In the spring, I had a fantastic daphnia bloom as a result.

Joel

Sonny Disposition

Yeah, green water is the best. Frank makes a dilute solution of boiled sweet potato. Baby food sweet potato from a jar works well, too. Beyond that, a quarter to a half teaspoon of yeast in a half cup or so of water will keep them going.

The best success I've had raising daphnia indoors came when I had enough green water to feed to them. That's basicly it-lots of microfoods and you'll get lots of daphnia. Lots of water changes too, of course. In lieu of green water, I supplemented with very fine spirulina powder.

I will say that once I had some in a trash can outside when I lived in NY. It was right next to a stack of cinder blocks, which I suppose mice were nesting in for the winter. Well, one of the little unfortunates must have lost his footing and fell into the trash can. In the spring, I had a fantastic daphnia bloom as a result.

Joel

msjinkzd

invert junkie
mine eat kens veggie sticks, doing really well in my tank here that i use for feeding. I just have an airstone on that tank. If you overfeed them, they croak fast IME

longstocking

Members
I don't raise them indoors... but I am right by a slow moving stream so there are mosquitos here already...

I take a 5 gallon bucket...

put a rock with algea on it....

Dump them in... put old tank water in.....

Put the bucket in a place that only gets 2 hours direct sun...

I have tons now :) I have done this 2 years in a row now...

If I was to do it indoors I would probably do the same thing... just add old water every day and put a lamp over it to create enough algea. One of those energy bulbs should be enough for 5 gallons.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Well, I have hesitated to respond to this probably because I tend to get too detailed. I think the answer depends on the specifics of water, food and temperature. I find raising daphnia easy, like real easy indoors all year long. But it can be very frustrating. I still have an occasional unexpected die off which is why you should always have at least three cultures going or a good source of daphnia to restart.

I believe Pat has me scheduled to talk about raising live foods in January or February 2010. I will describe in fair detail methods to raise and harvest daphnia as well as microworms, grindal worms, vinegar eels, paramecium, and brine shrimp.

I have sold a lot of daphnia and hear many success stories and many who say they lost them all or the culture was doing well and then it disappeared. The only sure way to raise daphnia consistently is to start a culture and when it fails, start again and keep it up until you know what to do.

Overall the cost to raise daphnia are not much on the food since they will eat most anything. The easiest is green water if you have it, if not, fish food of any type. But you can feed most any mashed vegetable. And yeast out of the package is great. The key is how much you feed, since if you feed too little, the amount of daphnia tends to stays low. Too much food and the daphnia die. Just right and the population explodes. The real cost in raising daphnia is in your time but that can pay off in terms of getting your fish to spawn or to getting your fry to grow fast.
icon14.gif
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Thank you Frank.

Yes Frank is on my schedule for January 2010 to give his live foods talk. Come one come all....lol
Little early for that I guess. lol